Yoga has answers for most of the bodily discomforts that we experience. However, we can help ourselves by practising yoga at workplace. Yoga asanas are easy to perform in the workplace and they also aid our well-being.
In today’s day and age of technology and information, extended periods of sitting seem to be a professional vulnerability. Even when one has good postural habit and the best ergonomic chair, your body needs some time out to put anxiety, tension and muscle joints at ease. Treat yourself to this refreshing and rejuvenating sequence which will allow you to reap the benefits of yoga, without even having to leave your office chair.
- Sit in an upright comfortable position.
- While breathing in, draw the shoulders up in the direction of your ears and then move towards the back. On an exhale, slowly move down and back to initial position.
- Repeat 3 times, and then reverse the direction.
- This exercise loosens the shoulder joints.
- It alleviates neck pain and opens out the chest.
- Sit in an upright comfortable position. Place both the hands on your armrest for support or alternatively place them on your knees.
- Twist to the right and press your left knee with your left hand.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds and return to the initial position.
- Repeat on other side and switch sides. This is one round. Do three such rounds.
Forward bend on chair
- Separate your knees and place your hands on your thighs.
- Exhale moving forward from your hips, gently keeping the spine straight, bends forward.
- Hold this position for a few breaths and then slide your hands down your legs, allowing the spine to curve.
- Breathe deeply into the hip joints.
- Now slowly come back up using your leg and abdominal muscles.
- Repeat this yoga asana for 3 times.
- Position your outer side of the left ankle on your right thigh.
- Make sure that your right hand is relaxing on your left ankle and your left hand on your left knee.
- Breathe in and bend forward from the hip joints.
- Make certain to position your spine in a straight line as you bend forward.
- Bend forward only as much you’re comfortable.
- Hold yourself in this position for 30 seconds, and then switch sides. This is one round, do three such rounds.
- This asana gently stretches the deep muscles surrounding the hip joints.
Awareness of breath
- Sit straight in a comfortable position, preferably at the front edge of your chair so that your ears, shoulders, and hips are in a vertically straight line.
- Position yourself so that you feet rest on the floor directly under your knees.
- Gently close your eyes and focus on establishing a smooth, even breath.
- Feel the abdomen and lungs, expand with each inhalation and fall with each exhalation.
- Remember that the breathing should not have loud choppy movements.
- Remain in this position for at least 2 minutes and then gently open your eyes.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.