When were people with diabetes questioned, what kind of exercise regime they follow? 60% of people answered walking. Across the world and the country, this is a common phenomenon that many of the people with diabetes walk, walk for 45 minutes, maybe they do some yoga also, kapalbhati, asanas, mandukasan etc. All of them are good. Any kind of exercise is right for your body. In this article, we will take a more in-depth look at the importance of anti-gravity exercise for people with diabetes.
Many people think they are swamped and do a lot of physical movement, so they do not need exercise. So all that is happening in your day-to-day life is not exercise. The biggest practical problem in people is that most of us are under-exercising. Along with it, we also lack knowledge of the proper combination of exercises. People are doing hard work, but they do not have an appropriate direction.
Also Read: Can Acupuncture Therapy Control Diabetes?
Now, what is anti-gravity?
Also Read: Pick Your Plate Wisely To Keep Diabetes Away
- Anti-gravity is a primarily aerobic and slightly anaerobic exercise that requires the usage of significant muscle groups.
- In case of a reversal, the most important thing is that is you need to bring down the sugars fast. The more sugar is in control, and insulin will be in control. The more insulin will be in control, the fats, inflammation and water everything will be balanced.
- Hence doing anti-gravity is very important because the number of hours your sugars will remain above 180, the more you will suffer from diabetes-related problems.
- Doing the staircase three times a day for 5-10 minutes each is very important in the adjustment phase.
There are three options for doing anti-gravity exercises
- The easiest, famous and useful is staircase climbing, which can be started with 100 steps and go up to 300 levels.
- Nitric oxide dump: Those with knee pain, have another option of nitric oxide dump. It is a compelling exercise in which we do squats, alternating arm raise, non-jumping jacks, shoulder presses.
- For those people who are unable to do staircase climbing and nitric oxide dump, you can lie down and move your hands and legs in the air. Do it for 1-2 minutes.
- Reversal of diabetes does not happen only with walking, and one needs to do something more. Your strength should improve. To improve your strength, you need to work against gravity.
- Do try these three options as anti-gravity.
Besides sugars coming down, anti-gravity has the following other benefits also:
- Increases immune function and cardiac output.
- In diabetes type 1, it increases cardiorespiratory fitness, decreases insulin resistance and improves lipid levels with endothelial function.
- In diabetes type 2, it reduces sugars, HbA1c, triglycerides and insulin resistance.
- Improves muscle strength
- Promotes weight loss
Get the right knowledge and work accordingly.
(With inputs from Dr Pramod Tripathi, MBBS, Diabetes Researcher and Founder of Freedom for Diabetes)
Read more articles on Diabetes