Is it Safe to Eat Pizza during Pregnancy?
- Pizzas are generally safe, but not all of its varieties.
- Avoid cured meats like salami and Parma ham in pizzas.
- Always reheat pizza and eat when it is hot.
- Stay away from street stall or roadside pizza.
Food cravings are a mystery for the rest of the world but the pregnant woman. All that concerns her is how to dunk in her favourite.
Among your various crazy food cravings during pregnancy, pizza could be one of them. There is no harm in satisfying your urge to eat a pizza during pregnancy, however, you must consider the following aspects to remain healthy and fit during the nine months because while pizza in itself can't do bad but the different ingredients that make one can. Closely watch the below mentioned precautions to be safe while simultaneoulsy fulfilling your urges.
- Not all varieties of pizza are safe during pregnancy. Mozilla cheese can be consumed, but cheese, such as camembert, brie, Danish Blue and Stilton cheese should be avoided as they are high on listeria (bacteria) than other cheeses.
- If you can’t resist from eating pizza, choose to eat pizzas that were microwaved at high temperatures as these will be bacteria-free.
- Avoid having cured meats, such as salami and Parma ham in pizzas as these meats can be listeriosis or toxoplasmosis affected threatening yours as well as your baby’s well-being.
- Pepperoni, which is a commonly used ingredient in all varieties of pizza, is not safe for consumption during pregnancy. Pizza prepared with meat including pepperoni must be strictly avoided. The nitrite and nitrate preservatives present in the meat can react with secondary amines (compounds) resulting in nitrosamines. The compound nitrosamines are human carcinogenic and increased levels of these in the body can prove to be fatal for the foetus; it also increases the risk of brain tumour.
- Women, who regularly gorge on pizza during pregnancy, complain about experiencing heartburn, loosening of the sphincter and reduced function of digestive tract.
- Again, if your taste buds are demanding only pepperoni pizza, make sure it is cooked at a higher temperature so that all the germs and bacteria are killed. It is only after the pizza is cooked at such high temperature that it is safe to eat. Do not let the pizza cool down or germs may regrow.
- Pepperoni is rich in saturated fats, thus it is not heart healthy and its excessive consumption during pregnancy can possibly lead to gestational diabetes.
- Stay away from street stall or roadside pizza and other makeshift stalls. At such places, there is always an issue with the freshness of the ingredients used in making the pizza, especially with concerns over the hygiene of the place and its surroundings.
- If you wish to order a pizza, order it from a reputable and hygienic outlet. You may let the staff know about your condition and request the usage of fresh ingredients. If you are at the outlet, tell them that the pizza be piping hot when served. If the pizza is ordered at home, you may microwave it again.
Remember that pizza is healthy during pregnancy if consumed in moderation without any compromise on its quality or your health.
Read more articles on Pregnancy Diet.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 21, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.