Hypertension Prevention Before It Starts
Hypertension Prevention - Read on lifestyle modifications which can prevent or delay development of high BP.
You cannot completely eliminate the risk of development of hypertension by lifestyle modifications. But changes in lifestyle can significantly decrease your risk of developing high blood pressure. Adoption of healthy lifestyle is important not only for treatment of hypertension but for prevention of high BP as well.
Lifestyle modifications which can prevent or delay development of high BP include
- Weight reduction: If you are obese reduce your weight and aim for a target body mass index (BMI) of 18.5 to 24.9. Approximate systolic blood reduction with 10 kg decrease in weight is about 5–20 mmHg.
- DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) eating plan: Your diet should be rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products and low in saturated and total fat. Approximate systolic blood reduction with DASH diet eating is about 8-14 mmHg.
- Limit your salt intake to less than 1,600-milligram sodium daily. Reducing salt in diet is equivalent to a single drug therapy. Approximate systolic blood reduction with decrease in salt intake is about 2-8 mmHg.
- Do regular exercises or any other physical activity (moderate physical activity for 30 minutes on most days of the week is also adequate). Approximate systolic blood reduction with increase in physical activity is about 4-9 mmHg.
- Limit alcohol intake (men to less than 2 drinks per day and women to less than 1 drink per day). Approximate systolic blood reduction with decrease in alcohol intake is about 2-4 mmHg.
Lifestyle modifications have been shown to decrease high blood pressure, prevent or delay development of hypertension, and even increase the effectiveness of drugs for treatment of hypertension. If you adopt two (or more) lifestyle modifications it can achieve better results for control of high blood pressure.
So make healthy lifestyle choices………
Read more articles on High Blood Pressure
Source: Expert Content Feb 25, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.