How to prevent Migraine?
Preventive medications can help to reduce the frequency, severity and length of migraines and possibly increase the efficacy of pain-relieving medications given for migraine. You may be advised to take preventive medications daily, or on the arrival of a predictable trigger, such as menstruation. However preventive medications may not completely eliminate headaches and they can cause some serious side effects. Hence your doctor will recommend lifestyle changes to prevent migraines.
- Avoid triggers: Try to identify your trigger factor such as if certain foods seem to have triggered your headaches or if certain scents caused the headache. If you think a certain thing brings on a migraine attack, try to avoid it.
- Have healthy habits: Have a schedule time for meals and sleep. Follow a healthy sleep pattern such as sleeping at the same time daily, trying to go to bed early and sleeping at least 7-8 hours at night. Have time for winding down (such a warm bath or reading in bed) before sleeping to relax yourself. Avoid skipping meals and eating at odd times.
- Yoga and meditation: Stress can cause migraine attacks. Daily stretching, meditation and yoga can help you relax and decrease stress. Try any relaxation technique you like when you are stressed.
- Exercise regularly: Regular exercise can significantly reduce migraine attacks. Do any exercise you enjoy (aerobics, walking, swimming and cycling). Regular exercise helps to reduce tension and possibly prevent migraines. However, be gradual when you start as sudden, intense exercise can cause headaches.
- Reduce estrogen: If you have migraine and estrogen triggers or makes the headaches worse, consult your doctor to reduce medications and treatment that contain estrogen, such as birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy.
These are some measures for prevention of migraines. You may consult your doctor to know more on how to prevent migraine attacks.
Read more articles on Migraine Prevention
Source: Expert Content Aug 10, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.