How to prepare for Gingival Flap Surgery?
- Flap surgery is needed when a gum disease cannot be cured.
- The surgery is performed by an oral surgeon.
- The patient experiences pain after surgery.
- Bleeding in prevented by placing a gauze.
When a gum disease (periodontitis) cannot be cured by the use of antibiotics or root planning and scaling that is when a surgery is required.
This surgery is known as the flap procedure and it cleans the roots of the tooth and rectifies the damage made by the disease. The surgery is only performed by a gum specialist or an oral surgeon.
Before the surgery begins, the patient is given a local anaethesia on the area is which needs to be operated. If required, the surgeon will have to pull back a section of the gums to clean the roots of the teeth and repair the damaged bones.
The gum flap is then placed back in its place and is covered with gauze to prevent bleeding.
During the surgery, the bone is either reshaped or smoothed to prevent the plaque to re-grow. Also, the bone can be repaired with bone from another part of the body or with other artificial materials.
What to Expect after the Surgery?
After the flap procedure it may take few days for the patient to recover and the operated area to heal properly. Once you are home, be sure to follow the instructions given by the doctor. You can follow these suggestions to prevent any hazards:
- Do take the medications prescribed by the doctor.
- Do not rinse before 24 hours. After that, wash your mouth with warm salt water to avoid swelling and pain.
- Keep changing the gauze before they are completely soaked in blood.
- Avoid stressful activities and relax as much as possible.
- Do not eat spicy food and food items which are hard to chew.
- Support your head with pillows to stop the bleeding.
- Brush your teeth softly.
- To relive the pain, apply an ice pack outside the mouth.
It is a necessity to perform flap surgery once the gum problems become severe.
Image courtesy: Getty Images
Read more on Gingival Flap Surgery.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 20, 2014
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.