How to Feed a Finicky Toddler: Toddler Parenting Advice?
Nutrition is important for the overall health of a child. Many mothers complain that feeding their toddler is a difficult task as their appetite can be erratic and unpredictable. A child’s eating habit can become the source of irritation between the mother and the child. However remember that the child is not at fault as sometimes we tend to treat them as little adults. Read on to understand how to deal with your finicky eater.
- Make mealtimes enjoyable and pleasant and not a time for struggle.
- If your toddler refuses to eat after having milk or juice before a meal, then avoid doing this in future.
- Offer your toddler a variety of foods, but start the meals with the food that the child likes best. Introduce one new food at a time.
- Encourage self-feeding and serve in colourful, child-friendly utensils.
- Serve small portion sizes and give a second one if needed. Praise the child for eating even if s/he has had little.
- Always present food attractively, as even children are keen on the taste, flavour, texture, and temperature of food.
- Give your child 5-6 small meals per day (three meals with 2-3 snacks).
- Do not use food as a reward or punishment and never punish your child for not eating well.
- If your child refuses to eat only certain foods - or becomes a very picky eater - allow it for some time. Most children will start eating normally after a while.
- Do not force your child to eat too much as this will accomplish little.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.