How to Assess Parenting Skills?
Most of us think parenting comes naturally, but you should regularly assess your parenting skills. This will help you formulate a plan for more effective parenting in the future. Remember that no one is a perfect parent; all of us make mistakes in parenting. Read on to know how to assess these skills.
- How do you react when your kids do not comply with what you say? Do you get angry, yell at them and feel frustrated? According to experts this shows your lack of control and poor problem-solving skills.
- Do you have a schedule in your house for children? Make your child’s life structured as it makes it easier for them to know what has to be done, i.e. when to do homework or watch television, when to go to bed.
- Do you scold your children and regularly punish them? It’s important to stay passive; positive parenting techniques like praise, good words, smiles, and rewards are important.
- Do you listen to what your child has to say? This is important as this enforces the behavior that they should listen to you when you talk without interrupting.
- Do not dismiss your child's feelings and concerns without paying attention. This makes them feel disregarded and unimportant.
- Do you often give in to your child unreasonable demand and wishes? If yes, then avoid it as best you can—it is better to avoid a whiny kid's demands.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.