How to Discourage Temper Tantrums: Toddler Parenting Tips?
One of the main challenges of parenting is to teach their children to behave in a socially acceptable manner. Many children pass through the phase of showing temper tantrums. This is a natural way for a young child to test your reaction to his feelings. Do not get upset as most children outgrow this phase if you deal with it appropriately.
- Small children often throw a tantrum to let off steam; they cannot express their feelings in words so they may just hit, scream and cry. The best way to discourage such behaviour is to ignore it. It usually decreases with time.
- Do not give in to his tantrums as it encourages the behavior. Try to divert his attention by playing with him or switching on the television. But if he persists with the tantrum, just ignore it and refrain from getting angry or over-reacting.
- Be a good role model and behave in a way you would condone. Do not get angry or agitated, as it is likely he may reciprocate.
- Encourage them to express their feelings in words. Explain your feeling to him calmly.
- Find the possible cause for the tantrum as many children get upset when they are hungry or very tired. It is important you have a regular schedule for naps, eating times and rest.
- You need to make rules for them which are consistent. Respond to the tantrums in the same way each time. If he sees a pattern in your reactions, he will know what to expect when he misbehaves.
- Practice time outs and these can have a calming influence.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.