How to Discipline a Hyperactive Child?
Parenting a hyperactive child has specific requirements, as proper discipline will make him happier, less stressed and better behaved, and will lead to a better parent/child relationship. With these children, "patience, persistence, and consistency" is required on child development and behavior. Some tips which can help you successfully parent a hyperactive child.
- Encourage your child with praise, good words, smiles, and rewards for good behavior rather than punishments for bad behavior; you need to make rules that are consistent.
- Practice time outs and these can help to calm them.
- Give them reminders; if your child misbehaves, remind them of the same thing several times (such as “if you hit anyone today in the park, I will take you home and won’t allow any television). Tell them the consequences of behavior so he knows why something is wrong and how will you react.
- Do not get angry or reprimand your child without warning.
- Give them responsibility and encourage them to help out at home, with chores such as cleaning the house and cooking. This makes them feel grown-up and diverts their energy in a positive way.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 21, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.