Newborn Care- Parents are usually perplexed about how to choose a safe bath seat for their baby. Here are some useful tips to choose a baby bath seat.
Reporting of infant drowning cases while bathing is quite commonly read in magazines. The use of a wrong kind of baby bath seat is the primary reason such tragedies occur. Parents are usually perplexed about how to choose a safe bath seat for their baby. The market is full of baby bath seat ranges, but it is imperative to choose the right one to prevent any sort of accidents.
Recently, the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) has laid standard safety rules in accordance with the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM international) for manufacturing baby products. Parents should check the JPMA labels on the baby bath seat before a purchase to ensure it’s adhereing to safety regulations. Despite of all the safety arrangements in the bath seat, the baby should still never be left unattended.
A baby bath seat usually becomes necessary when the baby is about six months old and is able to sit properly. Many parents opt for kitchen sinks to bathe their babies, but you should ensure proper cleanliness and hygiene of the sink before placing the baby bath seat in it. A number of queries usually on parents’ minds are how to choose a baby bath seat and from where to get it. Parents should follow some basic safety guidelines when choosing a baby bath seat and thoroughly scrutinize its features before getting it home. Some useful tips for choosing a baby bath seat are as follows:
- Check the safety and security aspects of the baby bath seat before making the final selection. The bath seat should be comfortable enough to keep the infant in an upright position, and fixed with attaching rings to prevent the infant from slipping into the water.
- While choosing a baby bath seat, check the durability of the attaching rings. These rings help to keep the baby stable in the bath seat while applying soap or shampoo and they prevent the baby from slipping.
- The size of the baby bath seat should be neither too short nor too long. The baby should be comfortably placed in it so that he can enjoy bathing.
- Many baby bath seats are provided with adjustable bars so as to provide proper fitting for the baby. The baby will neither crawl out nor face discomfort while sitting on it.
- The baby bath seat must be cushioned properly to provide comfort for the baby while bathing; hard plastic bases may hurt the baby’s bottom.
- A cushioned head-rest can support the baby to lie in an inclined manner. This ensures comfort for the baby while bathing. The parents will face less difficulty when handling the wriggly baby.
- Many infants enjoy playing while bathing. Check whether some soft plastic toys are attached to the seat to make bathing an enjoyable event. Colourful water toys are ideal to keep babies engaged during bath time.
Parents should be extremely cautious while bathing their babies even if the baby bath seat is well equipped with all sorts of safety arrangements. It is advisable to keep items such as the baby bathing kit, towel, and clothes handy so that you don’t need to look for them, leaving the baby unattended.
Read more articles on Newborn Care
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.