Calculate your Daily Calorie Requirement Accurately Using CIF
- Calorie intake formula calculates the exact number of calories
- Base metabolic rate calculates based on gender
- Harris benedict equation uses the BMR to calculate
The average caloric intake for most people is around 2000. However, if you calculate your caloric intake through the Caloric Intake Formula, you will get the exact number which will help you in designing your weight loss/gain plan accordingly.
The Caloric Intake is calculated on the basis of the following formulas:
(I) Base Metabolic Rate
Firstly, caloric needs depending upon gender, weight, height and age are calculated through the BMR formula.
- For women, BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)
- For men, BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
(II) Harris Benedict Equation
Once you get the BMR, you can easily calculate your daily caloric intake through the Harris Benedict Equation. Multiply your BMR by:
- 1.2 If you lead a sedentary lifestyle
- 1.375 If you exercise 1 to 3 days a week
- 1.55 If you regularly exercise from 3 to 5 days a week
- 1.725 If you religiously exercise 6 to 7 days a week
- 1.9 If you have a physically laborious job or you are a fitness trainer.
The resultant number is your exact daily caloric intake. To maintain your current weight, your caloric intake should be the same as your energy expenditure. To assist weight loss, you should eat lesser than your caloric intake so that the body retrieves energy from stored body fat, whereas to gain weight, you should eat extra calories.
Image courtesy: Getty
Read more articles on Weight Management.
For more related articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Mar 28, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.