How to Build a Co-parenting Relationship After a Divorce?
Building a co-parenting relationship is essential because it will help your child cope with your divorce. Create a comfortable environment for your child so that she/he can cope with your separation.
After the divorce you may feel relieved that finally everything is over and decisions have been made. However, this is really not the end, as you have to make several things work for your children. The toughest part of divorce is being parents to your children even though you are not partners. You have to reorganize everything, as the parenting roles and duties now exist in two separate households. In addition you have to develop amicable relations with the other parent, make new social contacts and adjust to a new personal life. Certain things are important when you start this new life.
- Make your new environment comfortable instead of trying to recreate everything like your previous home.
- Finance is usually a major concern for single parents; talk to your spouse before divorce regarding important issues such as who will pay for the child’s education and other expenses.
- Develop amicable relations with the other parent, for your child’s sake.
- Respect each other as parents even though the divorce may have been nasty.
- Do not talk adversely about your ex-partners lifestyle to your children
- Do not make the children suffer because of your differences of opinion or power struggles.
Let your children spend and enjoy quality time with each of his parents individually; there will be problems but you have to teach your children to value life, enjoy it, learn positive things and grow from the experience.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.