How to Break the Habit of Kids Sleeping in Parent's Bed?
Kids - even older ones - often sleep with their parents in India. But often no one gets the sleep they need. Training your kids to sleep in their own rooms at night takes effort. Read on to know how you can get your kids to sleep in their bedroom at night.
- Bring him shopping for items in his room before you move him. Get bed-sheets, cartoon wallpaper and night lamps for his room.
- Make your child’s bedroom quiet, cozy, and comfortable.
- Let your child choose which pajamas s/he wants to wear and which toy they would like to take to bed, etc.
- If your child likes music, play a soft, soothing tune until he drifts off.
- Make your child comfortable in bed for a feeling of security.
- You should give a kiss goodnight, give a hug and leave the room; he may object and whimper initially, but going through the same process daily will make things clear to him.
- Encourage your child to fall asleep independently rather than lying down next to him; this way, even if he gets you up in the middle of the night, he can soothe himself back to sleep again.
- Reassure your child that he is safe, and that you are in the next room.
There is no perfect way of getting your child to sleep in his bed, but every parent finds one. All kids have the ability to sleep well from an early age; some just need to be trained more than others.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.