Healthy Eating for School Holidays
Holiday means a time of enjoyment for the whole family. However, at the same time it also means junk foods and calorie laden foods, making the parents more and more anxious about the nutritional requirement of their children. As the holidays in school are for a pretty long period of time, the eating habit during this period can be ignored. It certainly affects the overall health of the children. Here are some of the tips through which you can prevent your children from eating unhealthy food during school holidays:
- During holidays, parents may get tempted to serve tinned and packaged food rather than fresh foods. However, packaged food should be avoided as much as possible as they contain unhealthy preservatives and minimum nutrition.
- In order to encourage healthy eating for school holidays among your children try to maintain the same eating schedule as in their school days. This will prevent them from munching unhealthy snacks throughout the day.
- Substitute crackers and chips with fresh fruits and vegetable salad as snacks while going out on a picnic or even while staying at home.
- Make it a point to carry your home made food while travelling outside as it will reduce their intake of unhygienic food that is available outside.
- One of the major reasons for excessive eating during school holidays is boredom. Therefore, try to engage your children in various activities that can keep their minds occupied as away from food.
- Have a word with your friends and relatives who may visit you during the holidays and ask them not to get chocolates or candies as gifts for the children. Also, avoid stuffing your refrigerators with sweets during your children’s holidays. This will prevent them from overeating and will help in health eating.
- Encourage your children towards more and more outdoor activities rather than spending time in front of television and playing videogames. This will speedup the process of metabolism and will also prevent unnecessary weight gain.
- Discourage your children from staying up till late at night as children who have sleeping disorders are likely to suffer from eating disorder as well.
- One of the other reasons that cause hindrance in health eating is consumption of carbonated drinks. Therefore, it is advisable to serve your children with milk shakes and fruit shakes of their choice as drinks. Also encourage them to drink more and more water.
- Healthy eating for holidays can be encouraged among the children by making meal time a fun time. For doing so, you can involve your children by allowing them to plan and prepare the meals.
By following the above mentioned tips, you can make a great difference in the eating habits of your children during school holidays. It is absolutely necessary to encourage your children for Healthy eating for school holidays as it determines their health and fitness.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 04, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.