Fruit bats may not be the cause of Nipah Virus: Research
- A new research have refuted claims that bats are the cause of Nipah virus in Kerala
- Results show that animals are not the reason behind the infection at all
- NiV has taken the lives of 12 people in Kerala
After taking the lives of 12 people in Kerala, Nipah Virus (NiV) has become a subject of intense research. So far, fruit bats were being considered the major cause of the disease but experts are saying otherwise.
According to a new investigation, health experts have refuted the claims and believe that bats may not be the cause of NiV in Kerala. National Institute of High Security Diseases in Bhopal has examined the blood and serum samples of 21 bats. Other animals including rabbits, cows, dogs etc were also tested but all results turned out negative.
Results show that animals are not the reason behind the infection.
Nipah Virus and Bats
Initially, it was detected that bats are the major reason behind the spread of the virus due to its history in Malaysia and Bangladesh. In 1998 in Malaysia and in 2004 in Bangladesh, the main causes of the virus were bats and pigs. Moreover, a bat was found in the well of the family who died of the virus, which gave rise to such speculations.
Dr Srinivasulu of Osmania University told TOI that fruit bats are a host to Nipah virus, but its role in the spread has been exaggerated.
Also Read: Nipah Virus: Signs, Symptoms and Diagnosis
Symptoms of Nipah Virus
- Inflammation of the brain
- Persistent Drowsiness
- High fever
- Mental Confusion
The symptoms could last up to 7-10 days. If you experience any such symptoms, you should get tested immediately and thoroughly by a professional.
Protection from Nipah Virus
- Do not eat fruits fallen from the trees, be careful before consuming any kind of fruit
- Do not touch or go near the person infected with the virus
- Consult a doctor immediately in case of high fever or a severe headache
- Elderly people and people suffering from diabetes need to be more careful
- Avoid pork, sausage and pork chops
- Avoid direct contact with bats and sick pigs
- Do not consume raw date palm sap for a while
Read more Health News.
For more related articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team May 29, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.