A lot of people only concentrate on what their mirrors show them and remain ignorant to the flipside – until they catch a glimpse of their back in a three-way mirror in a dressing room. And that’s when they come face-to-face with back fat a.k.a. bra bulge.
You could spend hours toning and tightening your butt and stomach (because you think they are the most noticeable parts) but if you don’t work your back, you are actually missing out on an overall refined look. Also, strong back muscles are the best defence against pain, injury and poor posture.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, back straight, and knees slightly bent for support. Hold a dumbbell in each hand
- Keeping your back straight, bend 90 degrees from the waist and allow your arms to hang down toward the floor, palms facing your legs
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together, and bend your elbows, raising the dumbbells up to either side of your torso
- Hold and then slowly lower back to the starting position
Lateral Pull-Down with the Band
- Sit on the edge of a chair with your feet flat on the floor and wide apart
- Wrap the ends of an exercise band around each hand, and hold it overhead
- Position your left arm straight toward the ceiling (this is the anchor hand), and drop your right hand out to the side about 45 degrees. Both elbows should be slightly bent
- Keeping your left arm stable, contract your back muscles and pull your right arm down until your right hand is in line with your chest
- Pause and then return to the starting position
Seated Back Fly
- Sit on the edge of a chair with your feet close together and a light dumbbell in each hand
- Lean forward from the waist, and let your arms hang down next to your calves, with your elbows bent slightly and your palms facing each other
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together, and raise the weights to your sides in an arcing motion until your upper arms are parallel to the floor
- Pause and then slowly return to the starting position
Do these exercises three to four days a week - 1 set of each exercise back to back without taking any breaks in between moves. After the last exercise, rest 1 to 2 minutes and repeat the full circuit twice.
Image Source: Shutterstock
Read more articles on Exercise & Fitness.
For more related articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.