Fish Oil during Pregnancy
Fish Oil during Pregnancy - Doctors all over the world are unanimous about fish being a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids, an essential nutrient during pregnancy. That is why fish oil is recommended for expecting mothers.
A healthy pregnancy cannot allow irregular eating habits and an unplanned diet. Therefore, the option of eating right becomes necessary. Doctors across the world have proclaimed the goodness of fish oil as the best source of Omega 3, protein and iron.
Read on to be familiar with the consumption of fish oil during pregnancy:
- Fish oil is known to reduce high cholesterol levels in the body.
- Fish oil has essential properties that help in full development of the child.
- Pregnant women, however, should be selective about consuming all types of fishes. Some fishes such as mackerel, swordfish and shark meat contain high levels of mercury which is fatal for the foetus. This applies for couples who plan pregnancy as well. The consumption of such fishes should be discontinued even when a pregnancy is being planned. The other alternatives are crabs, cod, tilapia, salmon, shrimps, catfish and canned tuna.
- According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), pregnant women can easily consume up to 340 grams of seafood a week. This is sufficient and safe for a pregnant woman. However, a distinct dietary chart should be prepared under the guidance of a health care professional due to difference in body types.
- Fish oil helps the pregnant woman achieve a full term labour instead of a preterm one where the baby develops chances of a premature birth.
- Apart from that, fish oil is widely known for making pregnant women develop a resistance towards allergens.
However, one should be always be aware of contamination in fishes and should take that extra precaution to undergo certain assurance methods before consuming it. Avoid eating raw fish as the traces of toxin levels, if present, may cause harm to the baby.
Read more articles on During Pregnancy
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Sep 13, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.