Tuberculosis is an airborne disease that can be easily transmitted from one person to another. This deadly disease is caused by the Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteria. In a country such as India where tuberculosis is a severe health concern, the following facts can come in very handy for people seeking protection against it.
Facts about tuberculosis
- Tuberculosis is an airborne disease and spreads via the cough or sneeze droplets of an infected person.
- Any person with an active tuberculosis infection can infect up to 20 people in a year and it causes 2 deaths in 3 minutes.
- A third of all new tuberculosis cases are actually registered in India.
- Tuberculosis if detected in time and treated appropriately is completely curable.
- The best way to prevent a tuberculosis infection is to practice good hygiene and sanitation.
- Diet plays an important role in preventing tuberculosis. Therefore, a good diet along with clean living conditions is crucial in the prevention of this disease.
- Proper health check in case of cough > 2 weeks.
- The most common symptoms of tuberculosis are weakness, malaise, night sweats, low grade fever with evening rise of temperature, loss of weight and appetite. A person may experience cough, with or without sputum production> 2 weeks and shortness of breathe once the lungs are involved.
- Proper and complete duration of treatment as prescribed by Doctor /Health assistant.
- A tuberculosis infection relapse and failure can take place if treatment is not completed and if the infected person does not take her/his medication on time.
- People suffering from health related conditions such as HIV and diabetes other those who practice poor lifestyle related choices such as smoking and drinking are more susceptible to a tuberculosis infection.
- Another way that has substantially helped in curbing the spread of tuberculosis is the use of BCG vaccine to all newborn babies at birth. This vaccine prevents infection in children (0- 14 years).
It is extremely important that people take cognizance of the fact that tuberculosis is indeed a major health problem in India. There is a pressing need to spread awareness about tuberculosis so that the dream of a tuberculosis-free India can be successfully achieved.
Read more articles on Understand Tuberculosis
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.