Understand Fever- In fever body temperature rises more than 99.6°F. Fever is not a disease in itself, instead its symptom of other problem in body.
The normal body temperature ranges from 96.0°F - 99.6°F in most people. Fever is an increase in body temperature more than 99.6°F. Body The temperature is never constant; your temperature varies through the day and is normally lowest in the morning and highest between 4p.m. and midnight. Here are some facts about fever:
- A rise in body temperature more than 99.6°F is considered as fever (that is temperature between 99.6°F and 105°F).
- Fevers between 100°to 104°F in children and adults are not harmful.
- Fever is a symptom and not a disease. It is a normal response of the body to any foreign invader such as vaccination, infection with bacteria and viruses. When the body is threatened with a foreign invader, the brain acts to increase body temperature as it makes the body’s environment unsuitable for foreign invaders such as bacteria and viruses.
- A rise in temperature in fact helps the body to fight infections and shortens its course by boosting the body's immune system, (such as increasing the release and activity of white blood cells and other infection control substances). So in most cases fever is beneficial but when the temperature becomes very high it can have damaging effects on the body.
- Besides infection and vaccines, factors which can cause rise in body temperature include medications, injury, exercise, excessive clothing, a hot bath, or hot weather.
- Fevers are usually caused due to infection with viruses and generally last 3 to 5 days. Most fevers need symptomatic treatment (such as fever reducing medications, drinking plenty of fluids, and rest).
Read more articles on Understand Fever
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.