It can be tricky to apply eye makeup along with lenses. It demands special care. Here we bring to you 20 amazing tips to do it without any hassles.
If you are a contact lens wearer, do not worry, you can safely wear eye makeup to complement the beauty of your eyes.
The only effort needed is to prevent the eye and contacts from getting damaged or irritated by the makeup.
In order to do so, you can follow these safeguards:
- Make sure your cosmetic products are specifically designed for contact lens wearers. They should be free of nylon and rayon fibres and mica particles that can flake off in the eye, damaging the contacts.
- Choose water-soluble products so that they can be easily removed and should be hypoallergenic so that there is less sensitivity reaction to them.
- Wash hands properly before wearing contact lenses. One should avoid soaps that contain oils, fragrances, dyes and anti-bacterial or anti-fungal agents as these substances can leave residue on hands and contaminate lenses.
- Always insert contacts before wearing makeup. Of course you can see the makeup better with lenses on, but it also prevents makeup particles from hands to getting on the contacts.
- Mascara should always be applied only to the tips of the lashes. Do not try to sweep it from the inner end of the lash. It could accidently brush off your lens and damage it.
- Do not use mascara as eyeliner. Apply eyeliner outside of the lash line and never inside which can plug oil glands and lead to infection.
- Before removing makeup, remove your contact lenses. Products formulated for contact lens wearers do not need an oil-based remover that could damage your lenses.
- Avoid even gentle rubbing of your eyelids and lashes for it could dislodge the lenses or contaminate them with makeup.
- Close eye makeup containers between uses.
- Discard any open containers of makeup after three months.
- Do not share friend’s makeup products or department store samples. Open or shared makeup can act as a breeding ground for bacteria, leading to eye infections.
- Make sure to wash off hands after handling nail care products immediately before handling contacts.
- Avoid using aerosol sprays, deodorants and colognes when wearing lenses. These could stick to the contacts and can be difficult to remove, causing irritation. Close your eyes while spraying them if you must.
- If you are a fan of powder, close your eyes while applying it. After application, brush off any excess powder before opening the eye.
- Check the shelf life of your makeup products. Never ever use expired ones. This holds true not only for contact lens wearers but everyone.
- Keep your accessories hygienic. Wash your brushes and other applicators on a daily basis or at least thrice a week. Sounds daunting, but trust us, one can never be too cautious when it comes to eyes.
- Whenever you are buying makeup, always test it for safety. Ask the store presenter to give you a patch test before you invest in it.
- When applying eye shadow, sweep from the inner corner of the eye to the outside without extending beyond the crease of the eyelid.
- Close the contact lens container tightly after putting them in. Particles can get inside the box if it is loose.
- Do not forget to blink several times through the entire process of applying eye makeup. If you do not blink, eyes tend to become making the contacts to feel uncomfortable and possibly drop out.
Use these tips to keep your eyes and lenses from getting damaged while putting on makeup.
Read more articles on Eye make-up
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.