Emotional stress turns out to be the key factor for heart attack in women
- Emotional stress leads to heart attack in women
- Chest pain is considered as a common symptom
- Know how to manage emotional stress
A recent study states that Emotional stress activates "spontaneous coronary artery dissection" (SCAD), a condition that causes around one-third of heart attacks in women under 60 years of age.
Spontaneous coronary artery dissection is an uncommon emergency condition that occurs when a tear forms in one of the blood vessels in the heart. It can slow or block blood flow to the heart, causing a heart attack.
Also read: Emotional health during pregnancy.
Spontaneous coronary artery dissection most commonly affects women in their 40s and 50s. Symptoms of SCAD are similar to other types of heart attacks and may include:
- Chest pain
- A rapid heartbeat or fluttery feeling in your chest
- Pain in your arms, shoulders or jaw
- Shortness of breath
- Unusual, extreme tiredness
For the study 750 patients were examined, with an average age of 52 years. The main symptom was chest pain, which occurred in nine out of ten patients. The findings showed that emotional stress occurring in about half of patients (49 per cent) prior to SCAD has proven to be one of the major causes of heart attack in women.
Some ways to reduce emotional stress are:
- Concentrate and find out what is stressing you: The first step to cope with emotional stress is identifying the source of the stress. Write down what you feel and when, to know the main reason that's stressing you.
- Know how to deal with circumstances: Many circumstances are completely out of our control. Do not panic and think positive. After determining the reason make a plan accordingly and work on it.
- Develop behavior that distracts you from stress: Do something that distracts you from stress. You can take a walk, spend time with your pet, read a book or work in the garden.
- Meditate: Meditation can calm your mind. It helps to regain emotional health. Meditation also offers various other health benefits.
- Exercise regularly: Maintaining an exercise routine is a great way to deal with stress. Regular exercise is good for your physical and emotional health.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 27, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.