None of us like to be trapped in a place where there is too much dust or smoke present. This is because that can be very suffocating and irritating at the same time. But some people can get triggered from a place that has significant smoke or dust. This is because of dust mite allergy. Dust mites are not visible to us from our naked eyes but are present all around us. All of us inhale these dust mites which are cleared up by our immune system in almost every condition. However people with dust mite allergy may have health issues if they are exposed to dust mites in evident quantity. Today let us know about this allergy and how does it affect us.
What Is Dust Mite Allergy?
OnlyMyHealth consulted Dr. KD Mishra, Consultant Physician and ENT Specialist in BNK Hospital, Kochi about dust mite allergy. He told us that dust mites are actually closely related to ticks or spiders that are quite common in warm conditions. People having this allergy get running nose or fever more often whenever they are exposed to these dust mites. They can be present in your furniture, bed, mattress, carpeting or any such ideal conditions for dust mites.
Allergy from dust mites usually develops from the childhood and it may become more evident if the person does something in which there is a lot of exposure to dust mites. It inflames nasal passage immediately and then results to health problems. This allergy can even cause asthma issues if not diagnosed at the right time. Some basic signs of dust mite allergy are difficulty in breathing and wheezing constantly coming in contact with dust mites.
Symptoms of Dust Mite Allergy
Dust mites allergy causes various symptoms and it is easy to identify it if a person observes his symptoms well.
- Running nose
- Itchy or red eyes
- Nasal congestion
- Itchy nose
- Pain in the face or uneasiness
- Blue coloured skin under eyes
- Frequent rubbing of nose
Sometimes, if not treated well, it can cause asthma. In that condition symptoms can become even more severe such as
- Tightness in chest
- Wheezing sound becomes evident
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Constant coughing
What causes Dust Mite Allergy?
Allergies occur when immune system of your body treats the particle as an invader or foreign object and tries to save the body from it. Allergies from dust mite happen in a similar way. Your immune system produces proteins that work as anti-bodies to eradicate unwanted bodies. In the process of fighting and taking our foreign objects infection occurs.
Dust mite is like an allergen that affects the immune system and your body produces antibodies to fight it. This comes as a threat to your body even though it does not harm you in general. When you come in contact with a dust mite, immune response gets activated in your nasal passage and lungs. It happens in the nasal passage initially because that is the first place allergen travels to. Because of all this you start getting sneezes, cough, wheezing and other problems.
Prolonged exposure to dust mites by a person who is allergic to it can result in asthma. Dust mites that enter your body live on skin cells that are dead. They absorb water from the atmosphere, so basically it does not do any harm to the body that could affect your health but it is like an autoimmune response in some people to fight against it. Another major cause of dust mite allergy is debris that is found in faeces and decaying bodies.
Risk Factors of Dust Mite Allergy
Dust mite allergy happens quite naturally in people however the chances of dust mite allergy may increase because of the following factors-
- Having a history of allergies- not just dust mite allergy, if there is anyone in your family who is allergic to any type of allergies, then the risk increases. You might also develop sensitivity to dust mites because of your family history.
- Exposure to dust mites- if there is excessive exposure to dust mites, then also it can cause dust mite allergy. This usually happens from childhood. A child who has been exposed to dust mites a lot may develop this allergy.
- Small children- dust mite allergy is mostly evident from the childhood. Small children are at the highest risk of developing this allergy and it might last until adulthood.
Complications of Dust Mite Allergy
There are not many complications which can arise because of dust mites. This is because dust mites as such do not harm your body but the allergic reaction does. The immune response can last for long term which can affect the health of the person in a serious manner. There are two major complications that happen because of dust mite allergy-
1. Sinus Infection- Inflammation of tissue because of nasal blockage can result to sinus formation. Dust mite allergy can obstruct nasal passage and also the hollow cavities that are present in the passage. Chronic inflammation may result to nasal blockage for a long time leading to sinus infection.
2. Asthma- People with dust mite allergy often ends up having asthma if not taken care of. This is because of almost same reason that is of sinus. The symptoms of asthma start developing in people having dust mite allergy. Once asthma attacks start occurring, it becomes very hard to control the situation along with dust mite allergy. Asthma requires immediate medical treatment if symptoms are found in the person.
Read More Articles on Other Diseases