Diabetes May Contribute to Infertility, Says Experts
- Diabetes has now become a common condition
- It can lead to infertility in both men and women
- Diabetes can also increase the chances of miscarriage
Diabetes is affecting a major number of population these days. According to a recent study, diabetes may contribute to infertility in both men and women. Both men and women are at an equal risk of infertility due to diabetes.
Infertility is also increasing among couples these days due to various factors. Diabetes is found to be another factor which can affect a person's fertility. The experts involved in the findings highlighted some major points which included:
- Diabetes in men can damage the DNA of the sperm. It can decrease the count of the sperm in men and men may also experience reduced motility of sperms of sperms. These conditions all together contribute to infertility.
- Whereas in women diabetes and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) are correlated. Diabetes can also lead to other autoimmune diseases which can trigger infertility in women.
Diabetes can also cause difficulty in the implantation of the fertile egg in the uterus, due to the lack of glucose in the woman's body. This results in higher chances of miscarriage in diabetic women by 30-60 percent.
Previously another report by WHO stated that diabetes affects 69.2 million people in India. Another study which was published in the Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology journal last year stated that by 2030 nearly 98 million people in India may suffer from Type-2 diabetes.
In this finding, it was also noticed that diabetic mother is at a higher risk of premature deliveries, abortion and prenatal complications during the birth of the child.
Diabetes can also trigger other health issues like cardiovascular diseases, nerve damage, kidney diseases, eye damage, hearing impairments, arthritis and skin conditions.
Read more articles on Health News.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 18, 2019
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.