Taking supplements blindly can have adverse effects on the health of the individuals. A link was established between calcium and vitamin D supplements and atherosclerosis in a recently-held study.
Both calcium and vitamin D are essential for our body. Both of these components are required to keep bones healthy and strong. In case of calcium and vitamin deficiency, there are strong chances that the bones may become fragile, increasing the risk of fractures. In such a situation, dairy products and plant-based diets are considered to be the best sources of vitamin D and calcium. However, sometimes, the lack of calcium and vitamin D is not accomplished through nutrition; due to which doctors recommend taking supplements. But, there is a catch here. There might be a possibility of stroke if calcium and Vitamin D supplements are consumed together.
In a recent study, it has been claimed that if calcium and vitamin D supplements are consumed together, the risk of heart stroke increases manifold. The results of this study, published in The Annals of International Medicine, examined what and how these two supplements affect the human body.
Bad Effects On Cardiac Health
The research focused on 16 different nutritional supplements and 8 dietary interventions to understand how calcium and vitamin D supplements impact on an individual’s cardiac health. Research results suggest that taking calcium and vitamin D supplements together increases the risk of heart stroke by up to 17 per cent.
The Arteries Become Compressed
American scientists believe that if taking these two medicines together, there is a possibility of atherosclerosis. This is a condition where the arteries become narrow due to formation of fat and cholesterol in the artery wall. To understand the situation better, following are some of the symptoms of atherosclerosis:
- Episodes of vomiting
- Extreme anxiety and depression
- Chest pain due to clogging of arteries
- Feeling of fainting and weakness due to lack of oxygen supply in the body
Timely Diagnosis is Important
It is essential to get to know the root cause of the health condition for appropriate treatment. In cases of atherosclerosis, following are some ways through which one can ascertain the chances of atherosclerosis:
- Blood tests: In the case of heart problems, blood tests help in determining the limit of sugar, fat and protein count in the blood. If the blood sugar levels are high, there can be chances of atherosclerosis.
- Physical examinations: If experiencing any discomfort, the doctor might do a physical exam with the help of a stethoscope. In case of an unusual sound of ‘whooshing, the doctor might suggest tests further to know the root cause. Also, the weak pulse rate can be a reason for atherosclerosis, which is checked by the doctor with the help of his/her hand.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound helps in checking the blood pressure levels in different parts of the body.
Those at a higher risk of atherosclerosis should ensure to make some necessary lifestyle modifications for precautions. Following are some tips to prevent atherosclerosis for a healthy heart:
- Avoid Fatty Food: Those at a higher risk of atherosclerosis should make sure that their diet is free of fatty food. Fat deposits lead to atherosclerosis, and one of the major ways by which this can be controlled is by taking a balanced diet, free of trans fat. Avoid deep-fried food items to keep your arteries safe of accumulated fat. Include avocado, nuts, seafood in your diet.
- Exercising is a Must: Light to medium physical activities is essential for overall health. A sedentary lifestyle invariably adds to the chances of a weaker heart.
- Say No To Smoking: Smoking adds to the chances of cancer and other health-related problems. Smoking should be eliminated from the lifestyle of those at a higher risk of atherosclerosis.
Read more articles on Heart Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.
- Calcium and Vitamin D Supplements Stroke Risk
- Vitamin Supplements Can Increase Risk Of A Stroke
- Risk Factor For Heart Attack
- Vitamin D With Calcium Supplements Stroke Risk
- Atherosclerosis Reasons
- Atherosclerosis Causes
- Atherosclerosis Symptoms
- Atherosclerosis Treatment
- Atherosclerosis Diagnosis