Cloth vs. Disposable Diapers - Which is Better?
From the first day of their child’s birth, parents struggle to keep their baby’s skin dry, healthy and rash free. Most parents are at a loss when it comes to deciding which kind of a diaper should be used— cloth diaper or disposable diapers. Earlier, as there was no option so people used cloth diapers. However now, a large percentage of people are switching over to disposable baby diapers. However, there is raging debate over the environmental viability of disposable diapers. Many environmental activists argue that these diapers lead to toxic waste. These differing points of views tend to confuse parents. In order to lessen the confusion, we give you three basic guidelines on which your diaper choice should depend on:
- Convenience– Disposable diapers are much easy to use and handle and require less effort as compared to cloth diapers. A disposable diaper is easy to put on and take off. One can just throw it away. But, one cannot just dispose off a cloth diaper. It needs to be washed. Also disposable ones don’t leak often which is not the case with cloth diapers. However, problems can arise if you are out of disposable diapers. A trip to the nearest convenience store will be necessary then!
- Cost– Disposable diapers are more expensive and it costs you less when you use cloth diapers.
- Comfort– In disposable diapers, chances of diaper rash is more as compared to cloth diaper. It is difficult to judge how wet it is the diaper is because it is covered with a plastic fitting.. Also a cotton cloth diaper is safer for the skin.
It would be better if we compare both of them one by one: Following are some comparisons between the two available varieties of diapers for the comfort of your baby:
- Disposable diapers seem like an easy choice while travelling. Using cloth diapers is not desirable and can lead to mess.
- Disposable diapers work on the principle of use and throw but cloth diapers have to be washed.
- Disposable diapers are more expensive than the cloth ones.
- There is more risk of diaper rash in disposable diapers than in the cloth ones. .
- Sometimes the baby is prone to allergy because of the chemicals used in ready-to-use diapers but there is no such problem while using cloth diapers.
- Disposable diapers don’t leak so the other clothes over it are saved from getting wet but the opposite happens in a cloth diaper.
So, cloth Vs disposable diapers- which is better? It is not an easy debate. It’s important to know that each baby is different. Some are comfortable with disposable diapers and others with cloth ones. But in both the cases it’s important to monitor the diaper. Both disposables and cloth diapers should be changed frequently. Cloth diapers need to be properly sanitised.
The choice between disposable and cloth diapers is entirely a matter of personal preference, lifestyle, expenditure, environmental concern, convenience and comfort. One should first know the pros and cons of both kinds of diapers and also take the opinion of their doctors.
Read more articles on Newborn Care
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Dec 08, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.