Burning Mouth Syndrome
- Burning Mouth Syndrome is a condition where a person may get a feeling of their mouth being on fire
- This does not occur because of the consumption of highly spiced food
- It brings a tremor in the tongue, roof, gums and the throat and can affect anyone and anytime
Burning Mouth Syndrome is a condition where a person may get a feeling of their mouth being on fire. This does not occur because of the consumption of highly spiced food.
It puts the sufferers in an atrocious condition as they experience a sweltering sensation of having drank or eaten something enormously hot. It brings a tremor in the tongue, roof, gums and the throat and can affect anyone and anytime.
This condition has a capacity to bother an individual to an extent that they fall prey to depression, loss of appetite and disturbed sleep. It also leads to a scratchy sensation in the throat, anesthetized feeling, astringent taste and soreness. Burning Mouth Syndrome is very much predictable among menopausal women.
Causes of Burning Mouth Syndrome
Causes of burning mouth sensation are multifaceted and have many aspects associated with it. And there are a few most examined possibilities that elicit the sensation.
Dental Hygiene: Dental Hygiene is of utmost priority and must always be in check. Some severe dental conditions may ignite the burning mouth syndrome like oral thrush, dryness and oral ulcers. And so, it is very important to maintain oral hygiene so as to avoid facing severity in the long run.
Deficiencies: High intake of nutrition will keep you away from such awful conditions. Lack of vitamins and minerals like iron can definitely escalate your likelihood of experiencing burning mouth.
Health Concerns: People suffering from Diabetes and thyroid are very susceptible to mouth burning sensation.
Hypersensitivity: There are many individuals who may have allergies of some food substance and if unaware of it may contract burning sensation.
Hormonal Imbalance: Many individuals go through extreme hormonal imbalances and women most commonly face menopausal imbalance which affects the saliva generation in the mouth. This has an immediate effect on your mouth.
Intake of certain medicines and treatment: Treatments like radiation and chemo therapy causes burning sensation. And a few medications also causes the same. Hence its very essential to consult the doctor before taking the pills.
Oral Irritants: Mouthwashes sometimes do not go very well with few people. Similarly drinking acidic fluids and smoking also causes the mouth to burn. Oral dentures, loose fitting and rough brushing causes the tissues to tear leading to burnt feelings in the mouth.
Symptoms of Burning Mouth Syndrome
Burning mouth syndrome, just like other severe conditions have a few symptoms, which if noticed at the right time can be treated with a lot more ease. Below are a few symptoms:
- Loss of taste is a common symptom that denotes occurrence of burning mouth syndrome
- A burning sensation that starts occurring on your tongue first and then gradually affecting your lips, gums, palate, throat and then the entire mouth is also a symptom
- A sensation of extreme dryness causing dehydration and then craving for fluids
- Change in taste from normal to bitter and then acidic
- At times, these symptoms may occur, cause distress and vanish as the day progresses. It may also shoot up again and subside without having to treat them. But it is advisable to see the dentist if one notices any unnatural behavior in the mouth
- Similarly some people may have to face the pain for a long period of time, so in this case do not let the severity increase rather consult a dentist at the right time and go in for the pertinent treatment
Treatment of Burning Mouth Syndrome
Everything that occurs suddenly and gives unnecessary trouble must be fixed. Similarly burning mouth syndrome is one such condition which gets an individual in a hitch.
Although there are many causes and determining which one is affecting you is complex, but for dentists, it is not. They can help diagnose the problem and provide appropriate guidance to recover from the same. One might also have to get their blood tests done if the condition seems severe. One must follow the below mentioned to eradicate the syndrome:
- Stop Smoking
- Do not consume acidic drinks and alcoho
- Perk up your Diet
- Boost up the intake of fluids
- Keep up the ingestion of Vitamins
- Learn the brushing technique
- Try different flavor free or mild toothpaste brands
- Fix your Dentures
- Avoid spicy-hot foods
Read more articles on Dental Health.
For more related articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.
Specialization : Oral careJun 17, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.