When you hear men being overweight the image of ‘beer bellies’ is what comes in your mind. Yes, men do have a problem with abdominal obesity and many causes may be behind it. Weight gain in men can be due to lack of exercise, stress, hormonal problems and faulty diet. With the fast paced life, men are the first to succumb to stress and pressure which leaves them no time to work out. Abdominal obesity is the most dangerous form of obesity as it invites a hoard of diseases which can be silent killers. Heart ailments, diabetes and liver or kidney ailments can be the common killers especially if a man smokes cigarettes and drinks alcohol.
Men usually give into vices like smoking and drinking as it ‘seems’ to reduce stress and deal with daily pressures of life. Most of the men do not pay any attention to their health and fitness unless any signs of a health problem emerge. Men also are the last ones to seek medical help unlike women who are more proactive. Men can keep their weighty issues at bay by following a regular routine of exercise, proper diet and having a healthy lifestyle.
Also Read: Ways to Prevent Hormonal Imbalance in Men
Why Weight Loss is Important for Men?
Weight loss is important for men to lead a healthy and disease-free life. Being overweight not only is unappealing but is also an open invitation to various life-threatening diseases. The following problems can hamper one’s quality of life or even cut one’s life short.
- Hypertension or high blood pressure and cholesterol problems: Overweight men are mostly seen to suffer from high blood pressure and cholesterol problems. These problems if are not controlled and treated at the onset give rise to serious heart ailments
- Heart ailments: Rapid heartbeat and heart attacks are common in overweight men which makes it the number one cause of death. An unhealthy lifestyle coupled with stress makes a man prone to sudden and early heart attacks
- Cancer especially prostrate and colon cancer in men
- Type 2 diabetes
- Liver problems like enlargement of the organ or fatty liver
- Heart burn or acid reflux disease
- Arthritis: overweight men have muscle and joint problems especially in the knees as it bears the maximum brunt of being overweight. Joint troubles can give rise to osteoarthritis in men
- Sleep apnea which gives rise to snoring and may be dangerous as it can cut off oxygen supply during sleep.
- Gall bladder disease or gallstones
- Concentration and learning problems in men
- Psychological problems like negative self-image or extreme self-consciousness
If you are overweight then your chances of developing many health conditions increase considerably. But even losing a few kilos will do you a great benefit, if you are planning to lose weight then keep these benefits in your mind to be motivated. Start slow and small but you will be benefited tremendously.
- A healthy heart: Being overweight can put your heart under a lot of pressure as it has to work harder and pump more blood making it prone to various problems. When you lose weight not only you do your heart a favor but also help decreasing high blood pressure which is a starting point in various heart ailments.
- Increasing levels of good cholesterol: Knocking off some extra kilos and maintaining a regular exercise regimen will help boost good cholesterol or HDL. Boosting good cholesterol means banishing the bad one- LDL, which in turn means your reducing your chances of heart related problems.
- Reducing risk of diabetes: Losing even a little weight will help your body regulate blood glucose levels and reduce any risk of developing diabetes.
- Reduce risk of cancer: Losing weight will also help you reduce risk of developing cancer. Overweight men are found to have prostate cancer while overweight women tend to suffer from ovarian and cervical cancer.
- Reduce risk of osteoporosis: Think about the pressure that is exerted on the bones and joints of an overweight body. When you lose some weight you help in easing off the pressure making them stronger and less likely to be inflicted with osteoarthritis.
- A quality life: Losing excess weight will help you live longer and have a better quality of life. Excess fat is an invitation to various diseases and also an instability factor during old age. People who are elderly and overweight have problems with mobility.
- Better sex life: Weight loss will helps in spicing up your sex life. Losing even a few kilos will help men have normal erections and maintaining it while women are more likely to be interested in sex due to improved body image.
- Better reproductive health: Both overweight men and women tend to have fertility related issues. Weight loss is an answer to all these problems, women on family way need to have an ideal weight to have a safe and complication-free pregnancy.
- Will rev up your energy levels: Weight loss will help you feel active and more in control. Overweight people are seen to be more sluggish due to the extra weight which can make moving around tiring.
- Boosting your self-image: Overweight individuals tend to suffer from low self-worth and self-consciousness. Losing even a few kilos will help a great deal to boost self-image and act as a motivational point to reach an ideal weight.
Read more articles on Men's Health.
For more related articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.