Ayurveda for Liver Infection - Several Ayurvedic treatments have been found to have curative properties for liver infections. Several clinical control trials have shown that they are more effective than the drugs usually prescribed for liver probl
The liver is the largest gland of your body and performs more functions than any other internal organ. All of human blood passes through the liver many times throughout the day. Liver processes the blood throughout the day and has a pint of it all the time. Unfortunately, there are many liver diseases which people suffer from due to alcohol abuse and other causes. Cirrhosis and Hepatitis infection are the two most common diseases of liver. Ayurvedic treatment for liver problems is now considered viable after a lot of success in clinical control trials and studies.
Some herbs that have been found to have curative properties for liver diseases are Eclipta Alba (Bhringaraj), Boerhavia diffusa (Punarnava), Picrorhiza kurroa (Katuki), Phyllanthus Amaris (Bhuiamala) and others.
Liver Diseases and their Ayurvedic Remedies
- Andrographis paniculata (kalmegh) for Increased Toxicity – Clinical studies were conducted to know the beneficial effect of Andrographis paniculata on toxicity induced by fever suppressing medicine paracetamol. It was found that this herb is a better option for removing toxicity from liver cells than silymarin, the standard hepatoprotective (liver protector) agent.
- Phyllanthus Amaris (Bhuiamala) for Hepatitis B – It is very effective in removing the “carrier” status Hepatitis B patients. The good effects start to show within a month of using this herb.
- Eclipta alba (Bhringaraj) – It regulates the levels of hepatic microsomal drug metabolising enzymes to make good the loss of hepatic lysomal acid phosphatise. Meaning it has a good effect on restoring normalcy after increase of toxicity in liver. Increase in toxicity has the potential of causing liver failure.
- Boerhavia diffusa (Punarnava) – This is another herb whose anti-toxic quality has been tested and found true.
- Tinospora cordifolia (Guduchi) for Jaundice – Tinospora cordifolia is very useful for treating jaundice. It does not cause blood poisoning as after treatment with conventional drugs. The chances of surviving after surgery for malignant obstructive jaundice is more than double if the patients are given Tinospora cordifolia instead of drugs.
- Picrorhiza kuroa (Katuki) for viral infections – It is one of the herbs which is recommended for protection from viral liver infections but also in everyday use. Vaidya Foundation conducted a study in 1996 and reported its protective properties against viral hepatitis. Other studies show protective properties against ill-effects of alcohol consumption.
- Phyllanthus Amarus, Phyllanthus Niruri and Eclipta Alba have have been found to reverse Hepatitis B infections in up to 70% of patients treated. These herbs not only reverse HBV, they are able to stop the process which leads to cirrhosis or cancer of liver.
Read more articles on Ayurveda
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.