Ayurvedic Treatment for Depression
Depression is a kind of illness related to the mind. A person is said to be feeling depressed when he/she is engulfed with sudden feelings of sadness, helplessness, guilt and hopelessness. The mood changes naturally, and also affects the physical and mental state of the mind. A person gains weight or loses weight, does not feel interested in anything around him/her and is generally irritable and prefers to be alone. This affects his relationships with his friends, family and co-workers.
Some people may feel depression in a particular season (seasonal depression) while some may feel it only after a particularly traumatic happening in their life; whatever the reason, it is necessary to treat depression before it drownss the person completely. One of these treatments is the ayurvedic treatment for depression. Ayurveda has blessed us with so many different herbs that we do not need to go far in order to find something that will help in uplifting our mood. Mentioned below is a list of such herbs which are easy to find and work wonders as ayurvedic treatment for depression.
- Holy Basil (Tulsi patta): Make concoction of tulsi leaves with some sugar, cinnamon and dried ginger roots with hot water and drink it 5 to 6 times a day. This will help you control your moods.
- Cardamom: Elaichi has a soothing fragrance. Add it to your tea and have it. This tea will help in rejuvenating your spirits.
- Ginger: If you don’t like elaichi in your tea, you could add some adrak. The anti depressant properties of ginger help you cheer up. Add some dry ginger root powder to your food too to get faster relief.
- Black Pepper – Another important herb used in ayurvedic treatment for depression, black pepper helps you get rid of your doshas ,which may be causing depression.
- Brahmi: Brahmi is a very popular ayurvedic plant, which helps a person relax his mind due to its mind calming properties. There are plenty of brands selling brahmi oil which must be applied regularly for a clam and relaxed state of mind.
- Turmeric or haldi: It effectively helps in treating seasonal depressions. If you feel depressed with the change in the season, ensure that you add some haldi to hot milk and sugar and drink this concoction for a week at least to feel the positive effects.
- Jatamansi – Jatamansi is another ayurvedic herb which has calming properties. This herb helps in directing depressive feelings away from the mind.
- Lemon: Though not completely ayurvedic, lemon is said to have anti depression properties. Eat a small wedge of lemon sprinkled with some sugar. This will calm your mind.
In addition to the above mentioned herbs, yoga is a great ayurvedic treatment for depression. People who do praanayam and yoga regularly may find that they are less susceptible to depression and feelings of hopelessness.You could also go for morning walks!
Read more articles on Ayurveda
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 19, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.