Fibroids: When to seek medical help?

By  , Expert Content
Mar 27, 2012

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

Fibroids, also known as leiomyoma, myoma, and fibromyoma are the commonest benign tumours of the uterus (womb). They occur in up to 50% of all women but many women are not aware about it as it may cause no symptoms.

Consult your doctor for fibroid if you have any of the following symptoms:

  • Excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
  • Change in the periods. If your periods change from relatively pain-free to painful or have become irregular over 3 to 6 menstrual cycles.
  • Feeling of heaviness or pressure in the lower abdomen or pelvis.
  • Bladder problems such as frequent urination, urinary tract infections or an inability to control the flow of urine.
  • Acute, severe pelvic or abdominal pain.

Watchful Waiting

  • If the fibroid is not causing any symptoms you will probably need only regular follow up to check the increase in size or any other complication during your yearly gynaecological exam.
  • During pregnancy, your doctor will monitor for changes in fibroid size and position.

Who to consult: Uterine fibroids can be diagnosed by a family medicine physician, gynaecologist, internist, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. But you may have to consult a gynaecologist for further testing or treatment.



Write a Review
Is it Helpful Article?YES10632 Views 0 Comment
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.

  • All
  • Article
  • Slideshow
  • Video
  • QnA