What is the treatment of Dry Mouth?
Any treatment of dry mouth needs that the underlying cause is treated. If you have dry mouth due to side effects of medication, your doctor will stop the drug or change the dose. If the secretion of saliva is reduced from the salivary glands your
Any treatment of dry mouth needs that the underlying cause is treated. If you have dry mouth due to side effects of medication, your doctor will stop the drug or change the dose. If the secretion of saliva is reduced from the salivary glands your dentist may prescribe you a medicine that can probably increase the secretion of saliva.
If you have persistent dry mouth your dentist may advice measures which may decrease dry mouth ---such as:
- Mouth moisturizers, like a saliva substitute.
- Mouthwashes which are specifically formulated to help dry mouth
- Taking sip of water or sugarless drinks frequently
- Avoiding drinks that contain caffeine, such as coffee, tea and some sodas
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless hard candy to increase saliva flow (if salivary glands still function)
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol
- Avoiding spicy or salty foods that can cause pain in dry mouth
- Use of humidifier at night.
Read more articles on Dry Mouth
Source: Expert Content Oct 03, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.