Cardiogenic shock refers to a medical condition in which the heart suddenly fails to pump enough blood to meet the needs of the body. It most commonly occurs in people who had had a severe heart attack.
Cardiogenic shock refers to a medical condition in which the heart suddenly fails to pump enough blood to meet the needs of the body. This condition is said to be caused by a severe heart attack. Even though cardiogenic shock is rare, it can be life-threatening if treatment is not sought in time. On the other hand, if people seek immediate medical attention, they do survive.
The symptoms of cardiogenic shock include the following:
- Rapid breathing
- Sudden, rapid heartbeat, called tachycardia
- Severe shortness of breath
- Weak pulse
- Pale skin
- Cold feet or hands
- Urinating less than normal or not at all
It is also important to know the symptoms of a heart attack because cardiogenic shock usually occurs in those people who have had a severe heart attack. Keeping this in mind, here are some symptoms of a heart attack.
- Pain that extends beyond the chest and to the shoulder, arm, back and sometimes, even to the teeth or jaw
- Fullness, pressure or squeezing pain in the center of the chest that may last for more than a few minutes
- Prolonged pain in the upper part of the abdomen
- An increasing episode of chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sudden dizziness or light-headedness
If you seek medical attention at the earliest i.e. as soon as you experience something unusual, speak to your doctor. By taking prompt action, you will be able to decrease the risk of cardiogenic shock.
Image source: Getty
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.