Nausea is a symptom in which you feel like vomiting. Based on the duration of nausea it can be categorised as acute and chronic. If the symptom is present for less than seven days it is defined as acute nausea and if the symptom is present for more than seven days it is defined as chronic nausea. There are several causes of nausea and the brain usually sends nauseating signals to the body that lead to the physical act of vomiting. A person with nausea has a 'queasy sensation" or a feeling of being "sick to the stomach'. Some other symptoms which may be present in nausea are:
- Stomach pain.
- Dizziness or giddiness.
- Lethargy or feeling weak.
- Confusion, decreased awareness or alertness.
- Pallor or pale look of the skin.
- Cool, clammy skin.
Associated Symptoms: Nausea is a symptom which is caused due to several diseases or disorders. Along with nausea a person usually has certain other symptoms such as:
- Gastrointestinal complaints such as bloating, early satiety, indigestion, heartburn, dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing).
- Light-headedness, giddiness, abdominal or chest pain, CNS symptoms, cough or blood in vomiting. These are some symptoms which require prompt assessment and treatment.
- Missed menstrual period (may suggest pregnancy).
- Vertigo, arthralgias, low grade fevers, nausea and vomiting with motion (that is in a car or bus)—these are some symptoms for which your doctor may treat nausea empirically (without any investigation or workup).
Some serious side effects of nausea and vomiting are dehydration, loss of weight, and malnutrition. Consult your doctor if nausea and vomiting last more than a few days or if think you are pregnant. You should contact your doctor if self-treatment for nausea is not working, you are dehydrated, or nausea occurs after an injury (such as head injury) or there is an associated infection.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.