What is the prognosis of Dermatomyositis?
- It is a rare inflammtory condition where the muscles get inflamed.
- It can affect both the children and the adults.
- The response to the therapy is good in most cases of dermatomyositis,
- People with Cardiac or pulmonary problems may show some resistant to the therapy.
Dermatomysoitis is a rare inflammatory condition in which the muscles get inflamed. It can affect anyone from children to adults. It is common in children between 5 to 15 years of age and in adults it occurs from late 40s to early 60s. Although there is no cure for dermatoysoitis but the symptoms may improve at times.
Causes of Dermatomyostis
The exact cause is not known yet but it has similarities with autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune diseases occur when the antibodies attack the healthy cells. People who have viral infection or cancer are more prone to getting dermatomyositis.
Symptoms of Dermatomyositis
Rashes on the face, chest, nails, or elbows that can appear to be red or violet are common symptoms of dermatomyositis. Some other signs and symptoms dermatomyositis include:
- Pain in the muscle
- Tenderness in the muscle
- Problems in swallowing
- Lung Problems
- Hard calcium deposits underneath the skin
- Unintentional weight loss
Diagnosis of Dermatomyositis
It is considered as the easiest of the inflammatory muscle diseases to diagnose due to the appearance of rashes. Even when there is no muscle dermatomyositis, but the doctor will be able to diagnose it with the amyopathic dermatomyositis. Some tests that can be done to confirm the diagnosis include:
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging: It is to look for abnormal muscles
- Electromyography: It can be done to record electrical impulses that control the muscles
- Blood Analysis: blood test is done to check the levels of muscle enzymes and auto antibodies
- Muscle Biopsy: It is done to know the inflammation and other problems associated with the disease.
- Skin biopsy- skin sample will show changes caused by the disease.
Treatment for Dermatomyositis
There is no cure for dermatomyositis yet but the treatment is done to improve the condition of the skin and muscle weakness.
Prognosis for Dermatomyositis
The response to the therapy is good in most cases of dermatomyositis. People who have cardiac or pulmonary problems may show some resistant to the therapy.
Image Courtesy : Getty
Read more articles on Dermatomyositis Diagnosis and Prognosis
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Oct 03, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.