There are many risk factors which lead to bone marrow cancer but the exact cause of the disorder is still elusive. Bone marrow cancer is caused due to formation of tumors in the bone structure.
There is a soft tissue inside the bones which is known as bone marrow. This soft tissue is formed by immature cells, known as stem cells. These cells later develop as blood cells. Bone marrow cancer is caused when these cells become cancerous.
Bone marrow cancer is not a contagious disease and the exact cause of it is still not known. Even the doctors are unable to explain why a certain person gets affected by bone marrow cancer while others do not. Therefore, as the cause is unknown, the prevention is also not easy. The risk factors that may lead to bone marrow cancer are unavoidable as certain degenerative and hereditary diseases are primarily responsible for this cancer.
The following are some of the causes of bone marrow cancer:
- If a person is suffering from chronic condition of bone.
- If there have been cases of bone marrow cancer in family history.
- If a person has previously undergone chemotherapy sessions.
- If a child is born with umbilical hernia.
- If a fault occurs in stem cells’ DNA.
- If a person has been exposed to high radiation.
- In the cases of children below the age of five, if they are affected by retinoblastoma or if they have cancer in their eye.
- In old age, as people become prone to degenerative diseases, they may become more susceptible to bone marrow cancer.
- If a person is suffering from a rare genetic disorder known as Li-Fraumeni syndrome.
While the prevention of most of the causes of bone marrow cancer is not in our hands, you can still take some precautionary measures that would reduce the chances of its occurrence.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Understand cancer
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.