The skin is the largest organ in human body. As it is exposed it is more prone to injury and damage. It is the organ that helps you feel sensation such as hot, cold, a prick. Children have the healthiest skin as it has not been exposed to the damages of environment such as sun, dust, dryness. It is important to care for your child’s skin as it will help to keep it healthy. Children cannot take care of their skin hence responsibility of skincare falls on you.
Here are list of some skin care tips:
Keep the skin Clean: Keeping skin clean is most important and the simplest way to keep your child’s skin healthy. Make your child wash his or her hands as hands can spread germs of the skin to other parts of your child’s body such as stomach, lungs, throat. Bath your child daily, use a mild soap, rinse the soap well, and dry your child well with a clean towel. Take care to clean your child’s hands, feet, in between the fingers and toes, and behind the ears.
Foods to keep the skin healthy: Encourage your child to drink plenty of water throughout the day. This helps to keep skin hydrated and supple. Encourage your child to eat a healthy balanced diet. Diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables is also beneficial in maintaining healthy skin as they are rich in vitamins and minerals, help to fight infections and have antioxidants (substance that help your child’s body to fight diseases).
Skin care products for Children: Use products that are recommended for use in children as they are milder than regular products that adults use. Preferably use natural skin care products than ones that smell lovely and are beautifully colored as these tend to have a higher concentration of chemicals. Use colorless and odorless products as they are most suitable for children and do not add to skin damage. You may apply coconut oil before bathing as this helps to keep skin soft and nourished. After bath use a moisturizer, it replaces the natural oils that have been lost while bathing.
Protect Skin from sun damage: Most children love to play outdoor games. This exposes the skin to direct sunlight that can lead to dry skin, and even serious ailments in the future. Protect skin from direct exposure to sunlight by use of long-sleeved shirts and full length pants. Insist on the use of sunscreen, cap or a wide-brimmed hat to protect face. Use a sunscreen that can block out UVA and UVB rays of the sun.
Care of dry skin
Children have delicate skin which is more susceptible become dry in extreme weather (summer or winter).
Certain measures to prevent and care for dry skin are
- Do not allow your child to bath for long as bathing dries the skin. Limit bath time to about ten minutes. Prolonged bathing removes natural oils along with the dirt from skin. Use soap sparingly, lukewarm water for bath, rather than hot water.
- Use a moisturizer that is natural and perfume free as these lack strong chemicals Apply the moisturizer as often as needed. If you are not sure which product to use, consult a doctor.
- After your child swims in a pool or ocean to swim, bath him or her with tap water and apply a child friendly moisturizer.
- Encourage your child to drink plenty of water as it helps to keep the skin supple, moisturized and detoxified.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sun in summer, and in winter use a non-scented and child friendly moisturizer as needed.
If care at home fails to keep your child’s skin healthy consult your doctor to rule out skin disease.
Care of skin in summer
- Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight. If possible do not let your children go out from...
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.