Reclaim your Youth after Delivery:The Ideal Gift for all you New Mothers
- Post-pregnancy period can take a toll on any woman.
- A mommy makeover is the best way to get back in shape.
- Breast surgery, body contouring and vaginoplasty may be suggested.
- Speak to your doctor about each before undergoing them.
New motherhood brings joy and surprises, along with sleepless nights and changes in our physique and sex life. Pregnancy can thus take a toll on our bodies, affecting our breasts, tummies, legs and more. After pregnancy, especially multiple pregnancies or unusually large births or twins, women find it difficult to return to their pre pregnancy shape. Pregnancy can cause the stomach skin to stretch beyond natural repair and breast shape and elasticity can also get damaged.
Whether you choose a healthy regimen of diet and exercise, minimally invasive cosmetic treatments, cosmetic procedures or all of the above, you might also consider a Mommy Makeover to get back in shape. The term ‘Mommy Makeover’ has been used to describe the common surgical procedures used to improve the changes that women see with their bodies after pregnancy. The concept has gained popularity over the years among women wanting to achieve their pre pregnancy body shape- and typically involves a Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation and/or a Breast Lift.
A combination of all these procedures can often help these mothers achieve the shape and feeling that enhances their feeling of well-being and fitness.
Following pregnancy and breastfeeding, a physiologic event, the breast, the abdomen, possibly the thighs and the vagina undergo changes. As a result the following procedures may be indicated:
- Breast Surgery
- Body Re contouring / tummy tuck
- Vaginoplasty (indicated only in vaginal deliveries as a rule)
- Breast augmentation: Breast augmentation is a type of plastic surgery performed to improve the appearance of a woman's bustline. It involves the insertion of breast implants into the breast mounds to add volume and enhance shape.
- Breast lift for droopy breasts (May at times require a breast implant for loss of volume).
- Breast reduction to reduce large breasts enlarged further post pregnancy and is accompanied by a lift.
Liposuction: Liposuction is surgery to improve the contour of your body by removing pockets of excess fat from specific areas of the body.
Abdominoplasty:This procedure has many variants like
- Mini tummy tuck where in the laxicity is only below the belly button and hence a predetermined portion of skin and fat is removed keeping the scar in the panty line.
- With relocation of belly button and tightening of the abdominal wall- this procedure is done when there is laxicity above and below the belly button, looseness of the abdominal wall with protrusion of the abdomen.
- Pelvic slide often occurs following pregnancies is also addressed at the time of the abdominoplasty by a pelvic lift.
This procedure helps address the laxicity of the vaginal canal by tightening it after the delivery.
Things to remember about Mummy Makeover
• Cosmetic surgeries are generally not performed with active medical problems or chronic medical problems that are not well controlled.
• Mummy makeovers are not recommended until all of the additions to the family are completed and it makes sense. In the event somebody does get pregnant after mummy make over, it will undo some of the results obtained and may require secondary procedures to fix them.
• Vaginoplasties are generally not required for women who have undergone a C-section for childbirth as it is the natural childbirth through the vaginal canal that makes it lax. Depending on the patients’ needs this laxicity can be addressed.
• Additionally, surgeries are generally not recommended right after the delivery for two reasons: 1. Patients may have the post-partum blues and 2. More importantly the child needs to bond with the mother.
• There is no special age group for these procedures as it is need-based and the need is on the part of the patient. None of the surgeries that are part of the mummy make over are medically required but will make the person feel good about themselves. After all pregnancy, even though may be desired and physiologic in nature, causes a significant alteration of the female body particularly in the breast, body and perhaps vaginal areas.
• Between being a new mother, sleep deprivation, breast feeding and the dysmorphic changes of the body can often be better managed mentally if the patients could visualize the mummy makeover in the future. This is sort of a restorative procedure for women after pregnancy.
• While there is no preferred age group, the benefits can be reaped well if performed early in life. Middle age is not a contraindication for this type of procedures as we live longer, sexual activity will continue beyond the stereotypical period and hence physical desirability and the need for sexual pleasure will drive the engine for mummy makeovers.
• The cycle of cosmetic surgery includes a change of life style, calorie restricted diet and exercise. Post operatively no other regime is as important as this to maintain the results from any body recontouring procedure. The change includes sleep hygiene and a life of moderation.
• Dietary regimes that are most successful are not one of abstinence rather calorie restriction every day. Regular exercise of 30 minutes per day is recommended.
• Intense gym activity, swimming , fondling of the breasts and intercourse is not recommended for about 6-8 weeks to ensure a good result however walking even a brisk one can be initiated after a few days of surgery.
Image courtesy: Getty Images
Read more articles on Festival Fever.
Specialization : Dr. Mohan Thomas, Worlds Leading cosmetic surgeon and owner inceptor COSMETIC SURGERY AND SKIN INSTITUTEMay 09, 2014
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.