When your child enters and continues through school the aim is that he or she learns all that is needed to become a confident student. There are several learning activities for 5-12 year old children. All of these aim to develop your child’s educational skills and personality. Education is important for academic success but remember that concept building should be an important part of all learning activities. All activities should be done in a relaxed and no-pressure approach. Some important learning activities for a child are math, reading and writing, listening and speaking skills.
Being a good listener and having good speaking skills are important for a child's success at school. Encourage listening and good speaking skills. Do not encourage cramming, your aim should be to make the concepts clear generate enthusiasm and liking for the subjects taught at school with as little pressure as possible. The more your child enjoys his or her subjects at school the more he or she will be able to grasp it and learn. As a parent you have to figure out how to develop your child’s interest in reading and learning. Let your approach focus on building long term interest in various subjects than merely reading and solving the problem then.
How can I develop my child’s interest in learning?
- Let your child see you reading and often read together. Take them to the library and for older children make sure they have their own library card. Have books, magazines, and newspapers in your house.
- Always keep pencils and paper, pen, and crayons in place from where small children can easily access it and let older child have his or her own set in the study table. As writing takes practice and patience encourage writing at home.
- Let your child to do school work themselves and do not try to help them out with their work by doing it for them. Help children and teach them to break a big job into small parts and then do it one step at a time. This will help not only in school work, homework assignment but also for other things like getting dressed, or doing a job at home.
- Make a reasonable, consistent schedule for learning activities, school work and homework assignment daily at home. Encourage your child to practice some learning activity daily.
- Your child should have an easy-to-reach place to put things away after reading or finishing work.
- Set limits on your child’s TV viewing as children who watch too much TV have been shown to perform poorly as compared to children with limited TV viewing. In addition adults in the house should also not watch TV while children are doing their activity as the background noise can disturb them.
How to handle homework?
- Impress on your child that education is important, and homework has to be completed. Your child should know that this is what you value.
- Have a place where your child can comfortably do work and can study. Your child should have an easy-to-reach place to put things away after reading or finishing work.
- Help your children to plan his or her work, study, play and other activities at home.
- Your child should feel that you have confidence in them and that if they practice they can achieve their goal. Always remind your child about his or her past success in various activities such as swimming, soccer, or in doing a difficult homework assignment because of his or her hard work.
- Praise your child when they've done something well and take interest in their work. Do not always be critical. Criticize or give suggestions in a way that is helpful.
Role of parents in school work
You can get involved in your child’s school work in several different ways—like by taking interest and working with them at home, volunteering for school activities. Although it may not b...
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.