How to Spot a Baby Rash and Take Care of it
- There can be multiple reasons behind a baby rash
- Rashes can affect different parts of your baby's body
- Know ways to prevent and treatment for your baby's rash
Your baby can get a rash easily because babies have very delicate skin and a developing immune system. A baby can get different kinds of rashes which can affect different parts of the baby's body. Most rashes can be treated easily at home. It can also cause irritation and can make your baby fussy.
What can cause a baby rash?
Due to the sensitive skin, a baby can get a rash due to several reasons. Some common causes of rashes in babies are:
- Certain allergy
- Chemical presence in any product
Rashes can affect any part of the baby's body- face, neck, arms, diaper area, skin folds, feet, and hands.
Also read: How to Care for Your One Month Old Baby
Types of baby rash
There are some common types of rashes which your baby might develop. It can be
- Drool rash
- Diaper rash
- Infectious rash
Treatment for baby rash
You should treat your baby's rash immediately before it affects other body parts of the baby. Diaper rash is the most common rash which develops due to the excess moisture and warmth. Some of the best remedies for treating diaper rashes are:
- Change the diaper frequently
- Make sure the diaper isn’t wrapped too tightly
- Give your baby some time without a diaper during the day
- Use a soft wet cloth and avoid using wipes as they may contain alcohol
- You can use a cream prescribed by the doctor
- Wash your hands before changing your baby's diaper
Drool rash treatment
Drool rash is a common facial rash which happens due to droll irritates the skin around the mouth of the baby. In such a situation avoid using soap on the face and try to keep your baby's face dry as much as possible. Clean your baby's gently and do not use any fragranced lotion. Pacifier use or frequent face wiping can worsen the condition.
Also read: What to Feed Your Baby in the First Year
How to prevent a baby rash
A rash can develop anytime. There are some precautions which you can take to prevent any possible development of the rash.
- Keep your baby's skin clean and dry
- Change diaper frequently
- Keep your baby's clothes clean
- Avoid using too many lotions and creams
- Dress your baby according to the weather
- Dress your baby in comfortable clothes. Try using cotton clothes
When to visit a doctor?
A normal rash can be treated easily at home. But if the rash does not go away easily, you should visit your doctor immediately.
- If your baby develops a rash followed by a fever then you should never ignore these signs and visit the doctor immediately to stop the progress of the condition.
- If the rash lasts too long, like more than a week then you should stop using the home remedies and visit your doctor. Then used the prescribes medications to treat the rash.
- If the rash spreads to other parts of the baby's body then make sure that you stop the spread of the rash immediately and pay a visit to your doctor.
Simple rashes can be an indicator of a serious illness. So, do not ignore these warning signs and protect your baby from any possible illness.
Read more articles on Newborn Care.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 29, 2019
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.