It is a terror to spot a pimple on the face! As soon as you see it, you get tempted to pop it, right? After all, it is very difficult to wait for days until it heals on its own. But squeezing a pimple isn’t easy as it sounds. It is extremely painful and risky if done improperly. Before thinking to pop out that pesky pimple, read this article.
As much as you may wish to squeeze, don’t do! It is not advised to pop out a pimple for the sake of your skin. This step can interfere with your skin’s health and may negatively affect it. Picking out a pimple can trigger infection and leave permanent scars on the skin. Dermatologists suggest popping the pimple as a last resort and one should try to avoid this. Pimples contain bacteria that get spread on the skin when popped. This would instead aggravate the condition by triggering more pimples.
Also Read: Causes Of Dry Skin Around The Mouth
Pop a pimple in these easy steps
While we suggest that you shouldn’t disturb the pimple, in case you really cannot withstand it and want to pop it out as soon as possible, go through these steps and follow them.
What do you need: Rubbing alcohol, sewing needle, cotton pad or gauze strip, anti-bacterial gel.
How to do it:
1. Wash your hands so that you don’t have any bacteria or dirt or dust that might infect the skin around the pimple.
2. Sterilize the sewing needle using rubbing alcohol. Insert the sewing pin in the widest part of your whitehead or pimple with utmost care. It is important that you shouldn’t draw blood or feel pain when performing this.
3. Drain your pimple using a cotton pad or gauze strip. Don’t push the pus to come out of the pimple. Instead, hold the skin until it gets drained on its own. This would prevent the bacteria from going back to the skin.
4. Apply an antimicrobial or antibacterial gel on the area to sterilize it. You may use witch hazel, a natural drying agent.
Also read: Hormonal Acne: What It Is And How It Can Be Cured
Other options to try
Before thinking to pop out your pimple, try these alternatives. They are easy and risk-free.
1.At-home treatment: Numerous topical treatments can be carried using kitchen ingredients. It might take longer for the pimple to dry out but it is indeed a safe option. Some of the pimple-drying ingredients are:
- Tea tree oil
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Charcoal mask
2. Spot treatment: These treatments act speedily to treat your pimple. Such products contain active chemicals like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, etc.
3. Go to a certified dermatologist: They have proper pimple extraction tools to correctly remove the pimple. This reduces the risk of skin infection.
4. Try hot compress: A hot compress treatment is found to soothe an inflamed pimple by relieving the pain. This helps the pimple to heal on its own.
Read more on Skin Care