If you are a parent with a mental health problem, it is important you understand the trigger factors which can cause you to relapse. Being a mentally stable parent is important to prevent your child from situations like child abuse or neglect. Read on to know how you can prevent a relapse of your mental stability.
- Create a stable environment at home for yourself and your children; avoid factors that cause you stress and anxiety.
- Take your medication and visit your doctor regularly.
- Avoid the use of alcohol and other habit forming drugs.
- Identify your trigger factors and try to avoid them.
- Try to relax when you are upset; do yoga, meditation, or practice other relaxation techniques.
- Let your children know about your problem; this can help them to understand that you may not be able to cope with every situation.