How to Cope With Being a Mentally Ill Parent?
If you are a parent with a mental health problem, it is important you understand the trigger factors which can cause you to relapse. Being a mentally stable parent is important to prevent your child from situations like child abuse or neglect. Read on to know how you can prevent a relapse of your mental stability.
- Create a stable environment at home for yourself and your children; avoid factors that cause you stress and anxiety.
- Take your medication and visit your doctor regularly.
- Avoid the use of alcohol and other habit forming drugs.
- Identify your trigger factors and try to avoid them.
- Try to relax when you are upset; do yoga, meditation, or practice other relaxation techniques.
- Let your children know about your problem; this can help them to understand that you may not be able to cope with every situation.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.