Dandruff can be a nagging problem to deal with. Although, most of us associate it with scalp dryness, Mayo Clinic bursts some myths here. According to the hair experts at the Mayo Clinic, dandruff is not caused due to lack of moisture in the scalp, poor hygiene or abuse of hair styling products but a fungus called malassezia. Learning how to control dandruff could involve a trial and error procedure since solutions are essentially case specific. [Read: How to Get rid of Dandruff]
How to Control Dandruff:
- If shampooing is your preferred way of tackling dandruff, start with one that contains zinc pyrithione, which can kill the fungal infection. You may popular brands available in the market to choose from.
- Now, in order to scrub off the flakes you would need a shampoo with salicylic acid as one of the key components. You will easily be able to find branded formulations in the market. Alternating the above two shampoos with each other can turn out to be one of the most effective ways of managing dandruff problems.[
- If using chemical based shampoos is something you don’t prefer, learning how to control dandruff with natural active ingredients is necessary. For example, you could look for a shampoo that contains peppermint and juniper as active ingredients. Peppermint contains zinc, menthol and selenium all of which possess anti-flaking properties. Juniper is similar in composition to peppermint. Furthermore, it also possesses several anti-fungal properties that can treat the root cause of dandruff.
- Calendula and liquorice are two among the richest sources of salicylic acid. Shampoos composed of them can therefore help in treating dandruff effectively. Resorting to these natural formulations will help you in avoiding the harmful extras that accompany chemical based compounds.
- You could also choose to resort to natural shampoos which contain tea tree oil. These will help in removing excess oil from the scalp and control fungal growth.[Read: Natural Remedies for Dandruff]
- In case you are not keen on shampooing, choose to massage your scalp with flaxseed oil. Adding a few crystals of sugar for exfoliation is ever better for scrubbing off the flakes. Subsequently, you can proceed to rinse off your scalp with apple cider vinegar. This purely natural remedy is known to provide excellent results.
In case these efforts refuse to bear fruit, it should be better to consult your dermatologist. Remember, dandruff can be one of the major causes of hair loss. Therefore, controlling it effectively is essential.
Read more articles on Dandruff Treatment.