High Blood Pressure Tests - Tests for High Blood Pressure includes an electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, blood tests, urine tests, eye examination etc.
If your systolic and/or diastolic pressures are more than 140/90 mmHg on several occasions, your doctor will diagnose it as hypertension. If you have diabetes or kidney disease, blood pressure reading above 130/80 mmHg will be considered high.
Some tests which your doctor will recommend before initiating therapy include;
- Echocardiogram: This is a test measured chambers and wall thickness of the heart and the function of the heart.
- Blood tests such as measurement of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium), blood urea and creatinine levels (these assess the kidney function and health)
- Lipid profile to measure cholesterol level and triglyceride levels
- Special tests for hormones of the adrenal gland or thyroid gland
- Urine tests for electrolytes, proteins and hormones
- Eye examination to look for changes and damage in the retina (hypertensive retinopathy) using an ophthalmoscope
- Blood glucose to rule out diabetes
- Other tests such as ultrasound of the kidneys, CT scan of the abdomen, or both to assess the changes and damage to the kidneys and adrenal glands
To keep the problem at bay and avoid going to the doctor, you can indulge in some of the following activities. Diet, exercise and medication when required are the best options for treatment of hypertension. But some supplements and relaxation techniques may help you to control your high blood pressure.
Read more articles on High Blood Pressure.
For more such articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.