Endometriosis: When to seek medical advice?

By  , Expert Content
Feb 17, 2012

Endometriosis can cause symptoms which may vary from one woman to another. Some women have no symptoms at all whereas others may experience severe pain. Some symptoms of endometriosis are painful or heavy periods, pain in the lower abdomen, pelvis or lower back, pain during sex, heavy bleeding or bleeding in between periods and infertility. However similar symptoms are caused in several other medical conditions.

Consult a doctor immediately if you develop sudden, severe lower abdomen or pelvic pain.

Consult a doctor with an appointment if:

  • your periods change from relatively pain-free to painful. The pain and cramping may begin before and extend several days into your period.
  • pain during period interferes with your daily activities. Many women experience pain and cramping during their menstrual period, but pain in women with endometriosis is far worse than usual.
  • you have pain in the lower abdomen, pelvis or lower back which is bothersome or interferes with your daily activities
  • you have pain during intercourse. Pain may be felt during intercourse and may last for up to 48 hours after sexual activity.
  • you have painful urination, blood in urine, burning urination, pain in the flank radiating toward the groin and urinary frequency, retention, or urgency.
  • you have blood in your stool or bothersome change in your bowel movements.
  • you do not conceive after trying for 12 months.

Watchful Waiting

Many women have pain during period. If the pain is mild and there are no other symptoms or concerns, you can wait through several menstrual cycles. At any scheduled appointment with your doctor you can discuss your pain and other concerns. Home treatment and over the counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen may be all that you need to relieve mild pain.

Who to consult

Some health professionals who can be consulted for endometriosis include:

  • Family medicine physicians
  • Internists
  • Nurse practitioners
  • Physician assistants
  • Gynecologists (doctor who specialises in diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the disorders of female reproductive tract).      

If you want to consult for infertility, you may be referred to:

  • Gynecologists (doctor who speicialises in diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the disorders of female reproductive tract).
  • A reproductive endocrinologist.



Is it Helpful Article?YES11015 Views 0 Comment
I have read the Privacy Policy and the Terms and Conditions. I provide my consent for my data to be processed for the purposes as described and receive communications for service related information.
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK