Dairy products may prevent stroke
- Dairy products may prevent stroke
- Stroke occurs due to blockage in the blood supply to the brain
- Know symptoms of stroke
Dairy products are highly beneficial for our health. A recent study says that consumption of dairy products like milk, cheese and yoghurt may reduce the risk of stroke. A stroke occurs when there is a blockage in the blood supply to the brain. The study also emphasises on the need to reconsider previous guidelines that advise a limit on dairy product's intake.
Due to the presence of high levels of saturated fat, consumption of dairy products has long been thought to increase the risk of death, particularly from coronary heart disease (CHD), cerebrovascular disease and cancer. But these observations are found to be inconsistent.
The study showed that consumption of all dairy products was associated with a four per cent lower risk for cerebrovascular mortality (stroke), and seven per cent lower risk with milk consumption. While eating cheese was associated with an eight per cent lower total mortality risk, yoghurt lowered the risk by three per cent.
"The current guidelines limiting the consumption of dairy products, especially cheese and yoghurt, should be relaxed and drinking non-fat or low-fat milk should be recommended, especially for those who consume large quantities of milk," the researchers said. For the study, the team examined 24,474 adults with an average age of 47.6 years, 51.4 per cent of whom were female.
Symptoms of stroke
The loss of blood flow to the brain damages tissues within the brain. Symptoms of a stroke include:
- numbness or weakness in the arm, face, and leg, especially on one side of the body
- trouble speaking or understanding speech
- slurring speech
- vision problems
- trouble walking
- loss of balance or coordination
- severe or sudden headache
Other health benefits of dairy products are:
- They are superfood for bones as they are rich in calcium.
- Consumption of full-fat dairy lowers the risk of obesity and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Dairy may protect against heart diseases.
- Dairy is rich in other nutrients as well like Vitamin D, Potassium and Phosphorus.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 29, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.