Diabetes is an incurable disease which leaves no other option (for a person with diabetes), to control their blood sugar levels. We understand that it is difficult for diabetes patients to control blood sugar, but it's the only way to live a healthy life. Keeping in mind, there are some options mentioned in Ayurveda and Medical Science, which can help control your blood sugar and improve insulin levels. The gourd is also one such vegetable, which is very beneficial for diabetes patients. If a diabetic patient eats gourd or drinks gourd juice, they can easily control blood sugar.
'Lauki ka Juice' in Diabetes
The gourd is a vegetable that contains 92% water and 8% fibre. Being carb-free, it is considered the most healthy vegetable for diabetes patients. Gourd manages blood sugar and insulin levels. Moreover, by consuming it daily, you can magically reduce your blood sugar.
Research suggests - gourd is best in diabetes
The study conducted in 2013 by the CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT) revealed that enzymes found in (13) vegetables consumed in India helped reduce type 2 diabetes and obesity. It was found that after radish, the gourd is the most healthy vegetable, (it can control blood sugar control). According to research, gourd contains Protein-Tyrosine Phosphatase 1 enzyme, which maintains the correct level of insulin in the body, (and reduces blood sugar).
Also Read: Roti Vs Rice: What Is Healthier?
5 Easy Recipes to Control Blood Sugar
- The easiest way to consume gourd is to eat it in the form of vegetable (along with daily food). But do not make the vegetable with too much oil and spices.
- Add gourd to your curd to make it tasty. This gourd raita is also beneficial for your stomach.
- If your diabetes is very high, then you can drink a glass of gourd juice every morning (with breakfast). This will have a faster effect on controlling your diabetes.
- You can make a healthy salad by adding boiled gourd and a little olive oil to the freshly chopped vegetables.
- You can also add gourd to pulses and consume it. Gourd lentils are beneficial for health and are also tasty.
Bottle Gourd in Diabetes - According to Ayurveda
The gourd is also considered a beneficial vegetable in Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda, the consumption of gourd removes Pitta dosha in the body and cools the stomach. The intake of the gourd is beneficial to remove all diseases of the stomach and relax the digestive system. Drinking gourd juice is more profitable because cooking reduces the number of minerals and vitamins (found in the gourd).
Read more on Diabetes