It may be a bit of an oddball, but urine therapy has been said to have great benefits for the human body. It has been touted for its strength not only in modern medical dictionaries but also in ancient texts, including the Bible!
Where did it all start?
Urine therapy aka Shivambu Shastra is the use of urine for medicinal or cosmetic purposes, including drinking it to fight diseases or applying it on skin or gums for aesthetic reasons. This system of alternative medicine was invented as well as popularized by a British Naturopath named John W. Armstrong in the early period of the 20th century. What inspired him to invent it has an official form of treatment was his family’s use of urine to treat minor stings, toothaches, etc. Moreover, he had the strength of his own experience to give this therapy credence; he treated his illness with a fast lasting 45 days on literally nothing but his urine and tap water.
The Xinhua news agency has started that there are more than three million Chinese who drink their own urine. In India, a well-known proponent of auto urine therapy is the former prime minister of the country Moraji Desai. He had lived up to the age of 99 years, attributing his longevity to the therapy. AUT is still quite a useful therapy and something AUT practitioners recommend if every other form of treatment fails because they believe the therapy can really turn things around in favour.
Benefits of urine therapy
- Cleanses blood – as opposed to the popular belief that urine is toxic, it really is not. Urine is a byproduct of blood, which becomes more purified the more times it is recycled.
- Treats acne –the antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties of urea help banish skin conditions such as acne.
- Improves heart health – urine has an enzyme called Urokinase, which strengthens bloodstream. Moreover, Urokinase is used in the form of a drug and sold as a blood clot dissolver for opening up blocked arteries.
- Prevents/treats cancer- Urine has urea, which has been proven in the 1970s and 1980s to prevent cancer cells from clubbing together, killing them by affecting their metabolic activity.
- Relieves stings–several naturopathic doctors have suggested that the acidic pH in urine breaks all the toxins of the bee sting down to provide quick relief.
So, would you consider ever trying the urine therapy?
Read more articles on Alternative Therapies.
Image source: Getty
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.