For sexual health to be maintained and attained, One must remember that everyone's sexual rights must be respected, protected, and fulfilled.
India is a versatile nation with a multitude of cultures, belief systems, and lifestyle patterns. All these factors lay a considerable impact on how sexual wellness and awareness are perceived among women. However, with progression in time, women have become more educated, and the concept of sexual wellness among them has become more transparent and better. This massive reorientation has been a catalyst in making sexual wellness a priority.
Are you defining sexual health?
“As per the World Health Organization, Sexual Health is defined as a state of emotional, physical, social, mental well-being concerning sexuality and does not merely mean the absence of a disease or infirmity. A respectful approach to sexual relationships and sexuality and the possibility of having safe sexual experiences, free of discrimination, coercion, and violence are a prerequisite for good sexual health."
Sexual health of a woman may be affected by factors such as:
- Underlying health problems
- Emotional quotient
- Mental health, etc.
Why is awareness about sexual health important for women?
- Sexual health and good reproductive are essential for women’s overall health and well-being. Sexual health is not about physical well-being, but it also includes access to proper information and awareness, effective and affordable methods of contraception, right to have a healthy sexual relationship and access to timely support and services whenever required.
- Engaging in physical intimacy is one of the best experiences of a human life, which allows the bond between two people to grow and flourish.
- However, how pleasurable this activity may be, several complications are associated with it. It may happen that if the reproductive organs are not effectively working many people may not be able to enjoy the act of intimacy.
- On the other hand, several life-threatening diseases may also be transmitted from one person to another while engaging in the activity. Therefore, it becomes imperative to stay aware of the events that may lead to the onset of serious health concerns.
- Apart from staying prevented from sexually transmitted diseases, sexual health also means understanding the body and how it works.
- Women who understand their bodies can make better choices about their lives and sexual activities. They have the freedom to decide when they would like to get pregnant and plan their family.
When to talk with a doctor?
- In case a woman suspects any unusual signs and symptoms related to her sexual health, professional help may be needed.
- A woman may experience problems related to her sexual preferences, desires, and health.
- Whatever the case may be, a little counselling and medication can aid to keep her sexually healthy, fit and active.
- However, having access to quality sexual information about maintaining a healthy lifestyle, mental and physical health can help women to achieve and maintain optimal health and well being.
(Inputs By Dr Sophia Jeremiah, Consultant – Medical Team at Docprime.com)
Read more articles on Women's Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.