Withdrawal Method for Birth Control
Birth control with the help of the withdrawal method is one of the oldest methods of contraception known to man. An estimated 38 million people had been using withdrawal method for birth control till the year 1991. Modern technologies have made it possible to have safe sex with the use of condoms and birth control pills. However, couples still use this method because it is inexpensive and also because it supposedly enhances sexual pleasure.
Withdrawal method for birth control essentially means that during sexual intercourse, the man pulls out his penis right before ejaculation. The method here is to not allow the semen to come in contact with the vagina, thereby reducing the chance of pregnancy. There are many debates for and against withdrawal method for birth control.
Arguments for Withdrawal Method
- Withdrawal method is considered safe because there is no artificial agent involved. Condoms, copper Ts and lubricants such as spermicidal can cause irritation and allergies.
- Withdrawal method is also considered advantageous by many couples because it is free from barriers such as condoms and hence, it makes the sexual experience more pleasurable.
- Another reason why many couples opt for the withdrawal method for birth control is that this method is cost free and also does not require any prescription.
Arguments against Withdrawal Method
- Withdrawal method is not at all safe because it does not guard a person from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). The risk of STDs becomes even more when a person has multiple partners.
- There have been multiple researches to show that the pre-ejaculatory fluid colloquially known as pre-cum does contain semen and it can also lead to pregnancy. This is where the withdrawal method for birth control becomes ineffective.
- Only extremely practiced couples who can display immense control over their body especially during the course of a sexual act have a high probability of using the withdrawal method as contraception. Because if one cannot gauge the precise moment of ejaculation then the withdrawal method will fail to restrict pregnancy.
- Some experts are also of the opinion that constant use of the withdrawal method can lead to sexual problems for men such as premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction.
Read more articles on Contraception
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 10, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.